Chapter 37

.Carol continued sobbing in Daryl's arms after the gunshot.

"Don't look." Daryl kept telling her. But she was looking anyway.

Daryl helped pick her up and tried to take her away. She hit him and got away. She ran off towards camp. Hershel's daughter Beth was also sobbing. Her mother and brother were walkers in the barn. Beth started walking towards the walkers. Rick tried to stop her but she continued on anyway. But the walker that was her mother wasn't dead.

The walker reached up and grabbed her by the hair, growling. We all sprang to action trying to pull Beth away from the walker. We got them separated and Andrea buried a scythe in the walker's head. Talk about traumatizing for Beth. Hershel and the rest of her family were helping her to their house when Shane came up behind them.

"We've been out. We've been combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along? You knew." He accused.

"Shane. Knock it off. Let them grieve." I warned.

"Those people were already dead. Nothing to grieve over." He said.

"Not to them they weren't so just fucking give it a rest." I told him.

"Why? You gonna call your inbred boyfriend over here to act like he's gonna beat my ass?" He asked.

"No! I'll fucking do it myself!" I screamed charging at him.

Rick grabbed me around the waist and dragged me backwards. I was struggling to get free but he's a little stronger than he looks.

"Leave us alone." Maggie said to Shane while Rick dragged me away.

"You knew and you kept it from us." Shane kept throwing accusations.

"I didn't know." Hershel told him.

"That's bullshit." Shane spat. "I think ya'll knew."

"We didn't know!" Maggie yelled back at him.

"Why was she there?!" Shane yelled.

"Otis put those people in the barn. Maybe he found her and put her in there before he was killed." Hershel told Shane.

"You expect me to believe that. I look like an idiot?" He asked.

I opened my mouth to answer the question and Rick glared at me.

"Shane, hey, hey, hey." Rick said, putting a hand on Shane's chest.

"I don't care what you believe." Hershel yelled at Shane.

"Everybody just calm down." Rick said.

"Get him off my land!" Hershel ordered.

"Let me tell you something." Shane said, advancing on Hershel.

"Hey. Don't touch him!" Maggie shouted, slapping Shane. "Haven't you done enough?" Maggie asked him angrily.

Mental note: shake Maggie's hand later.

All of Hershel's family went inside except him.

"I mean it, off my land." Hershel told Rick before going inside.

Glenn went inside after the door shut to join them. I walked away from Rick and Shane before I did something I regretted.

I didn't want to go back so I just walked around on of the fields. I had to work off my anger or I was going to explode.

When I was done with my walk I headed back to my tent. But I couldn't read. I just sat there, waiting for Daryl.

But Daryl didn't show up. Lori did however, to let me know that the service for Sophia is starting. I walked over to the graves and waited. Carol never showed up, but Daryl finally did. Everyone was there except for Carol. She didn't want to come. I put my arm around Daryl's waist and rubbed his side.

The service was short, and after it was over almost all of us went in separate directions. I went back to our tent with Daryl. He wasn't saying much and I didn't want to push him. I sat down on the cot and he sat beside me. Then he laid down and put his head in my lap.

"I was so sure I was gonna find her." He said after a few moments of silence.

"I know. We all were." I told him, playing with his hair.

"I want to move our tent." He said suddenly.

"Why? Shouldn't we stay close to camp?" I asked him, confused.

"No. It's not like we're moving to another city. I've got a spot picked out. Let's gather our stuff and go. I want to get away from these crazy ass people." He answered, getting up.

So that's what we did. We set up camp in one of Hershel's fields by an old chimney. A house used to stand here. While we were still setting up our stuff Lori came walking up from camp.

"Ya'll moving to the suburbs?" She asked.

"Yeah. We're gonna chase the American dream." I answered with a smile.

"Listen, Beth's in some kind of catatonic shock. We need Hershel." She said.

"Yeah. So what?" Daryl asked, sharpening a stick with his hunting knife.

"So I need you to run into town real quick and bring him and Rick back." Lori answered.

"Your bitch went window-shopping. You want him? Fetch him yourself." He told her, coldly. "I got better things to do."

"What's the matter with you? Why would you be so selfish?" She asked him.

"Selfish?" He asked, getting up. "Listen to me, Olive Oyl. I was out there looking for that little girl every single day. I took a bullet and an arrow in the process. Don't you tell me about getting my hands dirty!" He yelled. "You want those two idiots? Have a nice ride. I'm done looking for people."

After Lori walked away I looked at Daryl disapprovingly.

"Don't look at me like that Jess. I'm done being their errand boy."

"You didn't have to say it like that."

"Well if you don't like it you can join her." He said, not looking at me.

"Fine. I will." I said, getting up and grabbing my axes.

"Good. Have fun with your new pals."

"I fucking will. Let me know when you're done being a dick!" I yelled as I left our camp.

I ran after Lori. When I caught up to her I was out of breath.

"If you're gonna go after him, I'm coming with you."

"You don't have to do that Jessica."

"I want to. Since Daryl is being such an ass about it I feel like I need to."

"Well thank you for your help. I know Shane won't let us leave, so we're gonna have to sneak out."

"Sounds fine by me." I said.

We got Maggie's car and a pistol for Lori. My axes should be all I need. We headed off down the road slowly and quietly. When we were on the main road I sat silently and stared out the window. Lori was messing with a map.

"Want me to help with that?" I asked her.

"No, I got it hon." She replied.

About a minute later I looked up at the wrong moment.

"Lori, walker!" I shouted.

She gasped and hit the walker. The windshield busted and we couldn't see a damn thing. The car must have went off the road and up a bank. The next thing I knew we were flipping. Then everything went black.