Chapter 15

I was pulled down quickly and landed hard hitting my head against the cold floor. I smelled the whiskey on my father's breath as he climbed on top of me. I opened my mouth to scream for Daryl but my father slapped me before I could get any words out. I was laying in the floor praying that Daryl would wonder why I was taking so long and come back to check on me. I heard my father's zipper unzipping like all the many times I have before. I wanted to cry or scream or fight back but I was too scared. I stayed frozen in the floor crying silently. I heard the screen door open and my hope started to build in my chest like a balloon ready to pop. 

Daryl-Jess? Are you ok?

Me-Help Daryl! I'm in here!

That got me a hard punch to my right side. My ears rung and my vision swam. I must have passed out because the next thing I remember was Daryl putting me in on the passenger side of his truck.

Me-What happened?
Daryl-Just go back to sleep babe. I'll explain when we get where we're going. I know you're tired.

I did what he said but not because I wanted to. The next time I woke up we were going down a road with trees on both sides.

Me-Where are we?
Daryl-Marietta, Georgia.
Me-Where are we headed?
Daryl-Savannah. I got an uncle that lives there. He'll help us out. He's a preacher man. He's offered me help dozens of times but I never accepted. I didn't want to leave you. But now I got you by my side.
Me-Does he know we're coming?
Daryl-Yeah, I called him at a truck stop shortly after we left Blue Ridge.
Me-How long have I been out?
Daryl-A while. Don't worry though, planning your dad's death kept me occupied.
Me-So you didn't kill him?
Daryl-I didn't have enough time. I wanted to get you the hell away from that house. I did get your clothes though.
Me-So what did you do to my dad?
Daryl-Nothing worse than he deserves. I went easy on him if you ask me.***A few hours earlier***
---Daryl's P.O.V.---As soon as I heard Jess scream for help I broke out into a run. She was laying unconscious in the floor while her father was pinning her down. I grabbed him by the shirt and slammed him up against the wall.

Me-I am going to fucking kill you! It won't be today but trust me. Me and Merle are gonna end you old man! You would have been dead a long time ago if we would've known about this!
Louie-You think I'm scared of you boy? I ain't scared of you or your punk ass brother.

Louie had the advantage of being stronger and having been in more fights than I have. But I was mad as hell. He pushed my down and I landed on my ass. I jumped right back up and punch him in the jaw. He shook his head but acted like it didn't faze him. Another advantage I had on Louie, I was smaller and faster. He tried to sweep my feet out from under me but I dodged and kicked him behind the knee. He went down like a sack of potatoes. I grabbed Jess's lamp off of her bedside table and hit him in the side of the head for good measure. He was out now. I dragged him into the living room and located some rope. I tied the sorry son of a bitch to his favorite big chair in the living room. Something he couldn't turn over easily. I taped his mouth shut so he wouldn't scream until we got a good distance away. It'd take him a while to get out. Maybe he'll die in the process. I thought about lighting the house on fire but I won't because Jess is still in here. I went in her room and finished grabbing some of her stuff. I slung the bag over my shoulder and then picked her up. She was light as a feather, she always had been. I managed to get my truck door open and put her gently inside. She stirred a little and mumbled.

Jess-What happened?
Me-Just go back to sleep babe. I'll explain when we get where we're going. I know you're tired.

She fell right back to sleep. I threw her bag in the bed of the truck and got in. Heading for my dad's house. When I got there, thankfully he wasn't so I snuck inside and got some of my stuff. When I got out I threw it in the bed and headed for the interstate. I stopped at a truck stop in Cartersville to call my uncle in Savannah and refuel. I locked the truck and went up to the payphone next to the door of the quick stop. It rang a few times before he picked up. I hated calling him this late but it had to be done.

Uncle Mark-Hello?
Me-Hey uncle Mark. It's Daryl. I'm finally taking you up on that offer.
Mark-Good to hear son. You headed this way? Or do I need to pick you up?
Me-A friend of mine and I are headed your way. We're in Cartersville now. I'll explain when I get there.
Mark-Ok then. I'll see you when you get here.
Me-Thank you uncle Mark.
Mark-It's no problem Daryl.

With that we hung up. I went inside and got some drinks and a burger for me and Jess. I paid for the gas I was getting, filled up, and left. My anger kept me going even though I was tired. I'm definitely going to find a place for me to sleep when Jess wakes up. She looks like an angel sleeping next to me. A drooling angel, but an angel no less.