Chapter 44

My spring cleaning was interrupted by Rick yelling.

"Open the door! It's Hershel! Carl! Come one!"

Carl rushed to the door separating the cell block from the small commons area. Carl unlocked the door and opened. Hershel was laying on a metal table. He was missing half of his leg. Rick wheeled him into a cell and put him on the bottom bunk of a bed.

"He got bit." Daryl announced from outside the cell.

"Oh my God, he's gonna turn." Beth said panicked.

"Did you cut it off?" Carol asked Rick.

"Yeah." Rick said quickly.

"Maybe you got it in time." Lori said.

I stayed outside the cell. There were too many people wedged in there.

"I need bandages." Carol said, inspecting the bleeding stump.

"We already used everything we had." Glenn told her.

"Well, get more. Anything!" Carol replied.

I left the area of the cell and walked to where Daryl was. He had his crossbow loaded and pointed at the door that leads to the rest of the prison.

"Daryl, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Shh." He replied, not turning away from the door.

Then a guy that looked to be in his 20's stepped in the doorway. He had on a prison uniform. I grabbed the pistol out of my back pocket and pointed it at his head. He stepped through and four other former inmates followed. Holy shit. One of them was almost taller than the door frame. When they stepped into the room they stopped. Two of them were pretty good size men. The other three were average. Lucky for us the two biggest ones didn't look like they wanted to kill us.

"That's far enough." Daryl told them.

I clicked the safety off of my pistol and pulled the hammer back.

"Cell block C. Cell 4... that's mine gringo. Let me in." The guy in his 20's said. He looked to be their leader.

"Today's your lucky day fellas. You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia. You're free to go." Daryl said, watching them.

"What you got going on in there?" The leader asked.

"None of your damn concern." I answered.

"Ooh. I haven't seen a woman in a long time." The leader said, eyeing me.

"She ain't none of your concern either." Daryl said.

"Don't be telling me what's my concern." The guy said, pulling a pistol from the prison shirt he had tied around his waist.

Daryl stepped forward and so did I.

"Chill, man. Dude's leg is messed up." The biggest of the prisoners told the leader. "Besides we're free now. Why are we still in here?"

"The man's got a point." Daryl said.

"Yeah, and I gotta check on my old lady." Another one said.

"A group of civilians breaking into a prison you got no business being in... got me thinking there ain't no place left to go." The leader said.

"Why don't you go find out?" Daryl asked him.

"Maybe we'll just be going now." One of the inmates suggested.