Rebecca

Speaking of the devil, Ed's girlfriend did show up a couple of days later and I had the pleasure of meeting her myself (sarcasm). Ed never mentioned to me that she was coming and neither did anyone else. I found out myself when I was walking backstage before a show and saw her hanging all over Ed. I had never even seen a picture of her before and I was really surprised that Ed was dating someone like her. 

You know those type of girls who you can just look at and know they're a bitch? That was her. But she was my friend's girlfriend, so I made myself be cheerful and polite when I walked up to them to introduce myself.

"Hi!" I stuck my hand out. "I'm Sam. You must be Rebec-"

"I'm Ed's girlfriend," she cut me off. 

I looked at her, confused by the attitude already. "Right. Rebecca." She looked down at my hand and hesitated before reluctantly shaking it. It wasn't even a proper handshake - she barely touched my hand. Like I had cooties or something.

"So you're Sam. The photographer."

I nodded and smiled, but she didn't smile back. She didn't even attempt to hide the fact that she was studying me up and down. It was so tense and awkward. She was sizing me up. 

"Do you guys want to grab some beers after the show tonight?"

"I don't drink beer," she scoffed like I was an idiot for not knowing that. She put one hand on Ed's chest and added, "Ed and I are going to have some alone time later."

She emphasized the word "alone" like she was rubbing it in my face. I tried to just brush it off. "Oh, okay. Well have fun!" I gave my best fake smile and walked away from them. I thought it was really weird that Ed hadn't said a word the whole time. 

I wasn't quite out of earshot yet when I heard her hiss at Ed, "You didn't tell me she was so..pretty!" She didn't mean it as a compliment. She was actually annoyed by it. She was..jealous. I just shook my head and chuckled to myself as I made my way outside. Even though I'd seen it a million times, I still couldn't understand why guys put up with girls like that.

During the next couple of days with Rebecca on the road, I hardly saw Ed at all. I certainly didn't get any texts or calls from him. No invitations to hang out. They just stayed on his bus the entire time. Rebecca only came out to watch one of Ed's shows. She wasn't really watching Ed though - she was glaring at me the whole time I was taking pictures. 

In any other circumstance, I would have confronted her and asked her what her problem was. But for Ed's sake I tried so hard not to have a bad attitude towards her. I wanted to be supportive. If this is who he wanted to be with, then great. But I really, really did not like her at all. Girls can pick up vibes from other girls that clueless guys don't. 

She was never once nice to me. She never smiled at me or even attempted to make small talk. I didn't see her ever being nice or cute with Ed either, but like I said, I hardly saw them at all. She wasn't exactly friendly with anyone else that was around, but I did see her smile and say hi to a couple of guys on Ed's management team. It was clear that she had it out for me because she was jealous.

I hated this new version of Ed. He acted totally different around her. He acted like I didn't even exist. I mean, I get that some girls are really insecure and don't feel comfortable with their boyfriends having female friends, but shit. You don't just drop your friends and treat them like shit. Ed didn't even look happy that she was there. He looked pissed off and annoyed every time I saw him. You should look happy when you're with your significant other. Call me crazy.

I wondered if I should say anything to him after she left. Friends looked out for each other and talked to them when something was concerning them. I had no doubt that he would say something to me if it were the other way around. But right now he was acting like we didn't even know each other. I was halfway expecting him to keep ignoring me after she left. I wouldn't put it past her to tell him he wasn't "allowed" to be friends with me anymore. It was all such bullshit and I kept getting more pissed off by the day. But I kept telling myself to mind my own business and not say a word until she was gone.