Mac And Cheese

This might be my favorite story from that tour. If not favorite, then at least one of the top 3. 

It was a night when I was dying from horrible period cramps. Like, so bad that I was doubled over and threw up. It was the first time that I was unable to take pictures of the show. I didn't have Midol or anything for cramps. I didn't even have Tylenol or Ibuprofen. I couldn't even stand up long enough to walk to a gas station or CVS.

Sometimes it really sucked being the only girl on the road. No one understood when I didn't feel good from cramps or when I was irritated for no reason. Everyone would roll their eyes at me and give me a hard time when I took too long finding an outfit or doing my makeup. I was always getting harped on for leaving my ponytail holders and bobby pins laying around. So I always tried my best to never complain about period problems. When I was having a horrible period day, I would try to find someplace quiet to hide and stay away from everyone. 

So this one night, I was laying down on the couch in the bus I was staying on. I had my arms over my face, simply trying to stay still and not get sick to my stomach again. I wanted to cry when I heard the door open because I expected it to be some of the loud roadies coming back, ruining my peace and quiet. 

"Sam? What's the matter? Why weren't you out there tonight?" It was Ed.

"What are you doing on my bus?" I groaned.

"I couldn't find you anywhere. God, what's with the attitude?"

"I'm on my period, Ed."

"Oh. Cramps?"

"Yeah. I can't even stand up."

"Have you taken anything yet?"

I shook my head, "No, I don't have anything."

"No one else does either?"

I took my arms away from my face and glared. "What do you think?" I realized how nasty my tone was. "Sorry," I added after the fact.

He put his hands up in surrender, apologizing for asking such an obviously stupid question. He wasn't offended though because I saw him let out a little laugh. "I'll be right back, hang tight." 

I don't know how long he was gone but it felt like forever. I couldn't believe I was getting this much alone time on the bus. I just wanted to lay there forever. When the door opened next, I was flooded with relief that it was only Ed again. This time though, he came in with his hands full. He sat everything on the table except for a heating pad, which he brought over to me.

He plugged it in and untangled the cord as I rolled the bottom of my shirt up and pushed my pants down a bit. I was just about to put it on my bare skin when his hand shot out and stopped me.

"What??" I asked, almost in alarm.

His mouth dropped open and he gasped dramatically. "Sa-man-tha! You didn't tell me you had a tattoo!" As soon as he saw part of it sticking out above my pants line, he took it upon himself to push the fabric down a little more so he could see the whole thing. 

I had a small letter M on my hip bone. "I don't tell anyone I have this tattoo."

"M," he stated. "M...," he thought about it for a second before he got it. "Oh Sam, that's not for your boyfriend, is it?" 

I sighed. Of course it was. "It was so stupid. I was drunk and he pressured me into it. I hate it."

He looked at me and shook his head in disappointment. Like a dad telling you "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed." He took the heating pad from my hand and placed it on my lower belly before he walked back over to the table. He started to show me all of the contents in the bags. He had gotten mac and cheese, ice cream, Reese's, wine and Midol. He looked very proud of himself.