Prologue

A/N: Hey guys! This idea struck in my head and I think this story will turn out to be pretty good. It's AU obviously, but I haven't seen something like this done before. Remember the story is starting off with Maya with someone else and she hasn't seen Lucas and the gang in years, I'll have lots of character development to do, so I really hope you guys enjoy it because I have so many ideas for this one. Given that this is based years later down the road, it'll be a little more adult centric once it gets to a certain point, giving the heads up now. Thank you all for supporting my other stories and trust me those stories are not finished. I will be going back and forth on them. Enjoy!

Maya's POV

I was sitting in my wedding dress staring at the mirror. Thinking everything over. The things I've been through since I was young brought me here. Am I ready for this? Do I actually even love this guy? Something doesn't feel right about this, I don't have cold feet, I'm not scared to marry him, I'm just not sure I loved him like I thought I did. I don't even know what love is to be honest, I thought I knew what it was in high school, but that all changed when I stepped back. Sometimes I wonder how Riley, Lucas and Farkle are. I miss them so much, I regret leaving them the way I did, but the question is do they even remember me? I mean I'm not that rememberable.

I stood up from my seat and walked into where the reception was going to be since everyone was in the chapel. Seeing all these presents of support didn't even lift a smile on my face. If that can't make me smile or even make me feel happy, how can I expect myself to feel happy in this marriage?

"Hey baby girl." I heard my mothers voice come from behind me.

"Hi mom." I replied to her not turning around because I was still stuck in a gaze staring at all these gifts.

"Are you ready?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I'll be out there soon, okay?" I said as I turned to face her giving her the best convincing half smile I have.

My eyes scanned the entire room until I felt a tear running down my cheek. This should be the most important day of my life and here I am crying over the fact if I've made the right choice. Maybe it's because Riley isn't here? Maybe it's not. Maybe this is all me. I need to make the right choice, right here, right now.

"I can't do this." I ran back to the dressing room and collected my things into the bag I brought with me.

I wrote a note to Paul apologizing for doing this to him, but something about this doesn't feel right and I can't live my life full of regret. I sat the ring on top of the note I wrote him and skipped out as quietly as I could.

"Taxi!" I yelled as loudly as I could waving my hand in the air to bring the car to a complete stop.  "Manhattan please." I told the driver as I got in the car.

Topanga and Cory had sent me Riley's address a while back to invite her to the wedding so I knew exactly where she was. It was going to be a bit of a drive so I had a lot of time to think about what I was going to say to her. Firstly being a jerk and up and leaving them all. I'd imagine Farkle is running his dads company and Lucas probably went back to Texas, which I hope he didn't, but knowing how much he adored Texas and missed his home, I could see him moving back there.

As soon as the cab came to a stop, I gave him his money and a tip and ran up the stairs of Riley's apartment. It took some time, but I finally found her apartment and pounded on the door. Nothing.

"Shit, she's not here." I whispered to myself.

I sat there and thought for a minute. I figured out another option. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed a number.

Maya: Hey Topanga. It's Maya.
Topanga: Hey Maya, aren't you suppose to be getting married today?
Maya: Yeah, that's a long story in itself, believe me. Do you know where Riley is? I need to talk to her and she isn't home.
Topanga: She might be down at the coffee shop that's below her apartment, with Farkle, Lucas and their other friends.
Maya: So Lucas stayed in town after all?
Topanga: Yeah, he did. Will we be able to see you soon?
Maya: Sooner then you think, but I need to take care of this first before I come see you guys, if that's okay.
Topanga: Of course honey, we'll see you when you can get to us.
Maya: Thanks Mrs Matthews.

With that we hung up and I headed back down the stairs of the apartment. She was right there was a little coffee shop that sat below her apartment. I'm sure Riley loves this. I ran inside and I went up to the cashier in a run.

"Do you know if Riley Matthews is here?" I asked with pleading eyes.

"Maya Hart?" I heard a very familiar voice come from behind me, that was music to my ears and a voice that I've been longing to hear for years, Riley.