Family time

Jae and I decided to try to make it work. He  was very hopeful I was not. But I said I'd try, so I made simple efforts. Telling him he'd look handsome even when he looked like shit, kisses, hugs couple stuff, you know? We slept in the same bed, me curled into him and snoring on my worst nights. Because I breastfed, I usually took care of Aden during the night. If he woke up before feeding time then Jae took him.  The first few days we got a routine down, but then Jae had to return to campus. 

"I can switch to all online classes." He had suggested while I packed his suitcase

I shook my head "You won't be able to study or focus in general here. Go back and do what you must. Come again on a weekend." I said softly to keep from waking Aden.

"But babe." Jae whined and I sucked my teeth and gave him a glare.

"We will be here waiting for your arrival in a couple of weekends. Do not argue with me on this Jae. This is your final semester. Don't muck it all up now because you have responsibilities somewhere else." I said from my position on the bed.

Jae pouted then hopped onto the bed and laid his head in my lap. I gave him a gentle smile and ran my fingers through his hair. "I'll miss you too. But this is necessary."

"I know."

"Aden loves you." I said sweetly

"I know."

"I love you." I added

Jae smirked "I know."

I sucked my teeth, "The proper response is I love you too."

"Ah, I love you too, Adeyemi."

I felt my cheeks heat up at his use of my full name. He leaned up and pecked my lips. My eyes widened in surprise, but when he leaned towards me once more I met him half way and we kissed slowly as if we had all day to spend. Of course a small cry reminded us that we, indeed, did not. I moved quickly to pick up Aden and rock him gently as I hummed traditional songs from the ancestors of my ancestors. Jae finished packing his bag and soon we were standing by my front door, Aden swaddled in my arms Jae with his suitcase in hand. He kissed me once and then kissed Aden on his forehead. Aden gave him a particular look and Jae just smiled brightly at him. 

"Daddy has to go away for a while but he'll be back soon. Until then take are of mommy for me? Be good to her." He said and then his driver pulled up to the front of the house and then he was gone.

The next couple of weeks were better. I was much more tired but I was happy and I had allowed minimal help from the housekeepers. Little Aden was so cute even though He would wake up when I would just begin to settle down. Still I found myself feeling lucky, I didn't have to deal with all the baby rearing work plus the housework. Aden and I spoke to Jae every night. Aden was such a gem, as soon as he heard Jaes' voice his head would turn. I could tell he loved his father so much already. Soon he'd be one month, I was so thankful to have him in my life healthy and happy. Aden even smiled at me the other day! There was nothing more I could ask for in this life.

Aden and I had a check up today and I was frazzled after the ordeal. Reporters closed in on us and though I had guards, the close proximity of the shouting and flashing lights made me worry for Aden and I rushed into the car and put him in his seat. When we returned the amount of reporters were tenfold. I exited the car holding Aden in my arms. The reporters were hounded us asking question after question my guards created a small barrier around us. In the commotion, someones hand reached out and grabbed my arm. I let out a loud shriek and the hand let go I rushed to my gate and quickly scanned my thumb to open the gate door. I rushed indoors and quickly looked over Aden. He woke when I screamed, I began apologizing to him quickly.