Family

Jae sat next to Meilie on a bench in the palace gardens. He let out a big sigh before turning to her.

"I can't marry you." 

She looked at him in confusion "What?"

"I'm sorry but I can't." He looked down, his hands were folded together due to his nervousness

"I don't love you, Meili." He said softly.

She scoffed at that. "So what? Do you think I love you and that's why we are getting married? It's out of respect for my parents decision."

"I know, thats why I've went along with everything up until now but I can't anymore."

She gave him a glare "Why not?" 

He exhaled loudly " I am in love with someone else. She loves me as well and so she kept pushing me to marry you even though I don't want to accept the fate given to me anymore. "

"So you cheated on me and fell in love? I'm supposed to accept that?" She asked sounding hurt.

Meili stood and glared down at him " I've had to make sacrifices too. I had to give up the person I love to become your betrothed. Still, even when in the face of the one I yearn for, I've never cheated on you I've never even thought about it. You, you knew we were in a relationship and you still did this to me."

Jaejeong kept his head down. He was wrong for stepping outside of their relationship he knew that. The weight of his actions suddenly felt heavy on his shoulders. "I'm so sorry Meili."

"I don't care about some silly little girl you love. We have a duty to uphold the promise we made to not only our families but our countries.  You may say you can't marry me, but you will." She said angrily before walking away briskly.

"She's pregnant!" Jae shouted to her and he heard the clicking of her heels halt abruptly 

Jae stood when he saw her approach him. " I want to be with my family Meili." He said as she stood before him.

Meili crossed her arms "I'll raise the baby."

"Won't work the baby won't have either of our complexions."

Meili  was silent for a moment " Then tell her to get rid of it."

"I won't "

"Then you're going to have to deal with having a bastard child."

"Meili."

She looked down. "I'm sorry. Honestly, I'm not mad, I'm not even hurt.  I guess a bit jealous, not of her but of you for fighting for your love so hard. When this betrothal was announced you didn't have anyone. But I did so I could have fought then but I didn't. I'll accept that you don't want this as much as I do. I thought I could love you but after that one time we had sex I knew I couldn't not because you were bad but because I'm attracted to you. I'm not attracted to any man sexually. Now hopefully by telling our parents we can be with the ones we love." 

Jae stared down at her in shock at her revelation but felt relieved "Thank you Meili."

She tossed her long hair over her shoulder " What can I say, I'm a people pleaser." 

With that she left her heels clicking a lot lighter than when she first made to leave. Jae sat back down on the bench the next step was to tell his parents.

He changed into a simple hanbok well as simple a hanbok can be for a prince. His hair was tied and his ikseongwan in place he left to see his family.  His father noticed his entrance before his mother did. Usually Jaejeong and his sister only wore their traditional attire if they had to. 

"Seja." His father greeted in surprise.

Jaejeong bowed deeply to his parents. "I need to speak to you both."

His father motioned for him to continue.

"I won't marry Meili. We've agreed upon it. It cannot be done."

His mother gasped in shock covering her mouth and his father looked flustered.

"What insolence have you come here to sprout?"

"Seja, this is so unlike you. Sit down, maybe he has a reason."

His father huffed but sat down.

"I am in love with someone else a- a different princess and she is carrying my heir."He spoke quickly letting it all out.

"YOU WHAT?" his mother yelled 

"What princess?" His father asked

"Bring her here."His mother ordered

His parents sprouted things out before giving him a chance to answer anything.

"I can't bring her to you yet. She still has to sort things out on her end."Jae said 

"Fine you impregnanted her, you two must get married as soon as possible. " He mother sounded definite

"What does she need to sort out? Surely her parents will agree." His father said

Jaejeong bowed low so his forehead touched the floor "Forgive me you're highness I have sinned greatly." He cried out

His parents looked at him in shock once more.

"What have you done?" His father whispered

"Who is this girl, that you'd say you've sinned for being with her?" asked his mother

"The wife of the crown Prince of the Americas."

Then his mother fainted.