13

"What?" he asked.

"What? What happened?"

"You love me?" he whispered. Did I say that out loud?

"Yes," I answered. "I mean no, I mean-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that."

"She loves me!" He yelled. "I mean.. that's amazing. I love you too," he whispered. I smiled, I don't know why. But I just felt the need to smile, I'm happy right now.

"I'm not one of those thirsty hormonal boys so I'll take things slow with you. I don't want to freak you out..but I don't want you to feel unwanted! What if I mess this up, OH MY GOOOSH!" He grunted burying his face in his hands in frustration.

I giggled at his adorable actions and moved his hands from his face. "Shawn, its okay. No pressure, okay? But start now because for a week, exactly one week from now, it'll be weird. You know, you being 18 and all."

"Oh okay. That doesn't sound like a challenge... Oh who am I kidding!? That is a challenge, I already struggle trying to act sane around you, Madelyn! I love you for Pete's sake! I am in love with you, crazy in love with you, drunk in love with you! I'm all of the Beyoncé songs compiled into one! I just need you and here I am spilling just the minor part of my feelings of you because I love you so freaking much!" I wanted so badly to shush him because his parents are still in the house but instead I engulfed him in a tight hug. I just wanted to savor the moment for now. It took him a while to adjust to the situation before he let out a breath and hugged back. We sat there for almost 5 minutes then I finally came out of the hug and looked him in the eye, he seemed uncomfortable with me staring back at him so he turned away.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"It's nothing," He answered turning away completely. "Shawn, if you don't tell me right now, bad things can happen, you never know. Don't you trust me?"

"I trust you but.."

"But what?" I interrupted.

"Ok. Well iamveryinsecureaboutmyself," he rushed out.

"What?" I asked.

"Madelyn, I am very insecure about myself," he admitted. "What? Why? Does anyone else know?"

"First off, nobody else knows and second, I don't know.. I just don't feel like a hot dude."

"Shawn Peter Raul Mendes, you are honestly the hottest guy in the world and even if you look liked a potato, your kindness definitely takes over. You're amazing Shawn, and I will show that to you if I have to," I smiled, speaking the absolute truth.

"Thanks Madelyn, I really appreciate it.. but-"

"Shawn I swear if you finish that sentence I will-!" I was cut off when Shawn's mom walked into the room.

"Oh hi guys, I thought you were asleep," she stated. "Oh yeah, we just woke up, Madelyn had to go the bathroom so I was woken up," I lied.

"Oh well, breakfast is downstairs, come down whenever," I could see the bit of suspicion in her face and hear it in her voice but I didn't do anything about it and neither did she.

"That was weird," Shawn stated once she left the room. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Never mind, I just wanted to get you into a deep suspicion that something was wrong," he laughed.

"Oh my gosh, Shawn!" I grunted and slapped him with a pillow.

"Hurtful!" He groaned like Woody from Suite Life on Deck of Zack and Cody. "Okay well let's get downstairs," I suggested. He nodded his head and we went downstairs.

"Good Morning Mr. Mendes, morning Aaliyah," I greeted.

"Good Morning," Shawn's dad smiled. "How'd you sleep?"

"Like a baby," I chuckled.

"Like a big baby, exactly," Shawn chuckled, I nudged him in the side and began laughing along with him.

"Well guys, I have some news," Karen starts sadly.

"This can't be good," Shawn implied.

"Well, I don't know how to say this but there is a family that wants to adopt Madelyn," she smiled hopefully, but all hope was lost.

Shawn was upstairs in an instant and shut the door behind him loudly.

"I-I'll get him," I said, even though I got sad too. I jogged up the stairs where Shawn was and knocked on his door, no answer, I opened it and he was under his white sheets, sobbing. A could feel a part of my heart break a little.

"Shawn..." i gulped and went up to him.

"Madi, are you really gonna leave me?" He asked.

"It's not my choice, Shawn. And plus there's a small chance that I might not," I sighed.

He got from under his covers and his eyes were so dead, there was no emotion in them. "Don't lie to me, Madi. You're gonna leave me alone."

"Hey! Don't act like you've never done that to me! Matter of fact you left me, not just by distance, but by friendship, like geez, Shawn! Jut be happy!"

"How can I be happy if the woman, the girl, that I love is leaving me forever!?"

"How can I enjoy this if the boy that 'I' love and live for feels like complete crap like can you stop being a brat and be happy?"

"Oh, I'm a brat?" He sassed.

"Yes, you're a brat," I repeated.

"Would a brat leave his friends for someone that they love? Would a brat be so caught up in a girl that he literally feels nothing for anyone else?" He asked.

"Just to clear things up, they were not your friends, they were your allies, and you were so bratty and caught up in fame and popularity to notice that." Without him even being able to reply I turned around and slammed the door behind me. I stomped downstairs and made my way to the porch.

I just thought about the brat that I somehow fell in love with.

A/N • So many people like this book and idk why because to me it's complete crap, but there IS a bit of drama in the future, I swear ;)