the night I let him go

One year later...

A cold winter night

It was mid-November I believe. Our Counselor, Igor and I were returning from a dinner night at our Physics' teacher. It was wonderful. We got to meet his four kids, two boys and two girls, we got to eat some traditional Turkish food, and overall talk about life and our future... where we wanted to go after graduation next year, what did we want to study, stuff like that.

"So, did you guys enjoy Mr. Cap's family?" our counselor said walking behind us.

"Yeah, his family was awesome!"

"Yeah, I have never seen anyone play with their childer the way he did," I said. He was, I believe the only teacher in my school who was... wise.. and funny at the same time. It made me feel really good whenever we had class with him. Even though physics wasn't my favorite subject, he explained it in a way that even I could understand it, throwing a couple of jokes in between his explanations of matter and what not.

We arrived at a crossroads. The light was red so we stopped, but since there were no cars around my counselor told us to go. He walked fast to the other lane, and yelled at us "Come on guys, we don't have all night."

I looked at Igor who rolled his eyes and came closer to me. A smile was visible on my face.

"Hey, um why didn't you say hello to your friend?" he said looking at me.

"What friend?"

"The one you used to stay with all the time last year," he said pointing at someone behind him.

I gave him a perplexed look before moving my head forward. As soon as I looked at him my heart stopped. It was him. It was... Andy, my Andy. As Igor looked back at me I tried to look more intently at Andy. It really was him. Igor finally gave up and begun sprinting down the street to the other lane. I could see him run out of the corner of my eye.

How didn't I notice him? He hadn't changed a bit. Still tall, toned, and handsome as when I last saw him at his graduation ceremony. Ouch! That hurt a little. I thought I was never going to see him again after that night. The last thing I did with him was taking a picture with him. He was wearing a black shirt, a red winter jacket, blue jeans, a pair of black and white sneakers and he had his backpack on his back. He had his eyes stuck on his phone. It was the same red Blackberry from last year.

 It was the same red Blackberry from last year

I began walking towards him. One tiny step at a time. The closer I got the more I could hear my heart beating. All of the other sounds were being muted, erased from existence, until:

"a-Andy?" I said, my voice shaky but soft. He turned his head to his right. At first, I saw no emotions in his eyes. It was like they were lifeless, dead inside. But then after he realized who I was, his eyes widened.

"Ben? Wha- How- How are you?" I could see that he was confused.

I moved closer, close enough so that I could hug. He was so warm. I felt protected in his arms. I could hug him forever, but I couldn't. I glanced at my counselor and Igor who were talking at each other. It was now or never. I was a bit scared or maybe the adrenaline in my body was just too high at that moment. I just took his hand and ran, ran away with him. I suppose they didn't see me leave since I didn't hear any screaming or yelling from the both of them to come back. It was unbelievable. Running... running... running. It was relieving.

(Imagine it n the dark)

...................................

You know, I wish I could say that. I wish I had the courage of walking those steps up to him and saying those words, talking to him. Instead, I just stayed there. Why? I don't know. I guess I wasn't ready to face him yet. I was the one who called it quits and wanted to move on, but when I realized that I couldn't, that something, a piece of me was missing, I wanted him back. I realized then the mistake I made of letting him go.

He was still looking down at his phone. There was utter silence in the air. I began walking, not towards him, but towards the road this time. My steps were small. I would sometimes stop and turn around to see if he would see me or saw me, but he didn't. I even walked backward, facing him the entire walk until I just couldn't see him anymore. Never once did he raise his head. Never once eyes did our eyes meet.

And I haven't seen him since...

As I prepare to lay down here alone dear
I can't help but to keep wishing that you were here
I done you wrong but now you are gone
what can I do?
don't make me live the rest of my life
forgetting you

it's too bad I didn't realize until you were gone
just what it meant to have a love like you for my own
but now that you've gone I can't go on
living here without you
don't make me live the rest of my life
forgetting you

Forgetting you
it will be so hard I know
but listen baby
how can I forget you
every day I love you more and more
come back to me
I'm lone and blue
don't make me live the rest of my life
forgetting you

how can I forget you
when every day I love you a little more
and a little more
how can I forget you
when you fill my heart with so much joy
how can I forget you
when I love you all so much
how can I forget you
when every day I need you by my side

Oh, I love you baby
I love you from the bottom of my heart
tell me
tell me that we will never part
I love you baby

Thank you whoever read this story.

Thank you for sticking with me til the end.

I am going to start another story soon. It's gonna be called:

The Old Wild Gay West

When the son of a homophobic sheriff meets the son of a loving family, something between them sparks, literally. But obstacles are on their way to true love. Will friends and family accept them? Will they survive the unexpected attack on the town? Will they be able to face it all? Stay tuned for an all new story. Coming soon on Wattpad.