She grows distant (part 3)

It is Dinah.

She sits across form us in the waiting room. My mom doesn't know what happened, but she doesn't ask questions. A doctor comes out about two hours later, and asks to speak to my mom. She tells me and Dinahto go get food for us. I stand up, and prepare myself for the awkward experience.

We walk in silence to the cafeteria, and I can feel tears burning my eyes. I order us all some food, and when I reach for my wallet, Dinahplaces her hand over mine. "I got it." She says, and pays for the food. "Thanks." I say, and we get a table to sit at. We start eating in silence, and then a doctor walks over to us. She calls the patients name and when I realise it's my sister, I stand up.

He comes walking to the table. I give him a small smile. "Your mother said I would find you here. I assume this is your sister?" He asked, shaking Dinah's hand.

"Uh no. girlfriend." I awkwardly say. "My mistake. Well, could you please step into my office?" I frown, but nod. Dinahand I quickly gather our things and follow him to his office. He ushers us to sit. "So, your sister is in a critical condition." He starts. My eyes start to tear up, and Dinahnotices.

She slowly reaches for my hand, unsure if I will pull away. However, I really need her now, so I lace our fingers together. She gives my hand a slight squeeze, and the doctor continues. "But she'll survive. She's in a coma right now, and you can go see her, but I expect for her to be awake again in about two days." He says, and then there is a knock on the door. The doctor has to leave to attend to another patient. "My secretary is out front if you need her. Contact me if you need anything, or have some questions. Take your time, and then you can head back to the waiting room." He says and walks out.

I sit staring right in front of me, and Dinah gets up and squats in front of me, placing a hand on my knee. "It will be okay, I promise." She says, rubbing my knee. I still stare, unsure of what to say. Dinah opens her mouth to say something, but her phone starts ringing.

"Hello?" She answers. "I'm sorry, I can't be there." She says, and then listens for a while. "Cancel the show or something." She continues. I turn, and shake my head. She looks at me, and speaks into the phone. "Hold on a second," she says to the person on the phone.

"You can't cancel a show." I say. She objects. "Yes I can. I need to be here now. The girls can do it without me." I sigh. "It's fine Dinah, just go. I'll be fine." I say. "No, you won't. I need to be here for you. I screwed up enough the past few days, I'm not going anywhere now." She says. I just stay silent, and she takes the phone again. "I am not coming to the show; let them do it without me. I have important stuff I need to do." She says, and hangs up. She turns to me.

"I'm sorry about not being there when you needed me, but I promise you, I will always be here for you, if you want me or not." She promises, standing next to me. I stand up, "I will always need you Dinah." I say, and hug her tight. "We should go see you sister." She says after a while.

I can feel the tears nearing me again, and I nod. "It will be okay. She's going to wake up in a few days and then everything will be back to normal." She promises as she takes my hand and leads me out of the office.

----------------------
I hope you enjoyed it
Comment
I appreciate your comments and opinions xx