Chapter 4: Rats & Thieves

Start from the beginning

Stats and skills governed the core of the game for any Summoned. There were a total of fourteen primary stats. These included Vitality, Stamina, Wisdom, Intellect, Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Endurance, Charisma, Charm, Stealth, Perception, Leadership, and finally Luck. Stat points obtained from leveling could be applied to all of these, except for Luck and Leadership, which could only be increased through player actions. It was a delicate balancing act to find a build that would complement one's playing style and also ensure they would survive in this world.

Skills, on the other hand, were abilities which allowed players to perform specific actions. There were two main types of skills: Active Skills and Passive Skills. Active Skills needed to consume mana or ki to carry out a particular action. They were only activated when a person had a use for them. Passive skills, on the other hand, were always active. They usually provided buffs to specific stats or activities in the world. Both active and passive skills could only be improved through the continuous use of the skills. Fortunately for Kashi, his little game with the rat not only increased his stealth but also granted him a new skill.

While Kashi doubted he would have much use for this skill in the future, it was always good to have an extra ability in his utility belt. There was no such thing as useless skills. Only underutilized ones.

The sound of a gate creaking open interrupted Kashi's self-examination. He glanced at the door of his cell. A tall man in an overly broad, tattered, black and white striped jumpsuit with unkempt brown hair and a massive beard stood before the bars.

Leon fought with the lock on Kashi's cell door and heaved a sigh of relief when a clack rang out. The door to the cell swung open, and Kashi calmly walked out.

"Follow me and be quiet," Leon said and turned away from the cell to make his way towards the end of the hall. His voice was cracked and hoarse, most likely from the many years spent in the dungeon.

Kashi followed closely behind. The sound of his feet on the hardened earth echoed down the hallway, but he heard only one pair of footsteps. He glanced at Leon, who seemed to glide soundlessly across the floor.

"If it is not too bold of me, may I inquire as to how you move so softly?" Kashi asked. He would never know why he always resorted to this polite, archaic speech whenever he started gaming.

"How, you ask?" repeated Leon distractedly as they rounded a corner. He was trying his best to feel the presence of any guards in the area. Either there were none, or he had lost his touch. He prayed it was the former. Kashi's question finally registered, and Leon answered, "When you walk, try rolling your feet from heel to toe."

The young elf nodded and glanced down at his feet, trying to imitate the other man's movement.

Kashi let out a small smile. It seemed Rika had not been joking when she said the skills were only limited to his imagination. He wondered what other skills he could learn as he activated [Silent Feet].