'What was that, a dead language?'

'I don't know. It's got cadence, that's for sure. Rewind it back.'

Chris did.

'snrub erif sih, dog etah ew.'

Heavy gasping came from the recording as though the voice speaking was being twisted around. The sound was unnatural, unsettling. And in the background, two other voices could be heard. Childlike, yet the tone in their voices sounded old. Guttural screams — unearthly came as they spoke.

'leurc si dog.'

'Eh sah on ytip, llik eht sgip, epar eht seiggog.'

'Okay, you can turn the machine off now.'

Chris did.

'What was that?'

'English in reverse, demons when they speak, they never go by the rules, the laws of nature. It's why the numbers three and six are significant to them. The Bible tells us that Jesus spent six hours on the cross and that he died at three in the afternoon. Demons for thousands of years have mocked those times by turning them upside down, which is why most demonic signs come in threes and sixes.'

'Wait a minute, I read transcripts of demonic possessions. The demon has always spoken in English or the native tongue of the possessed.'

'No, what you have read is a translation.' Sam told Lisa.

'So, what were they saying?'

'I don't know. I would have to play it back again, but until then, we're best praying for that family.'

A few days later, Chris and Lisa went back to the house on Richmond Street, this time with Sam and for somebody famous. Steven and Fiona didn't have a clue who Sam was. Eddie Murphy, and Will Smith, he certainly wasn't.

Fiona extended her hand out and Sam shook it. He had a firm grip, but his smile was warm and pleasing to the eyes. The pleasantries were quickly broken by a booming voice — shouting obscenities.

'Fucking swine. Cunting pig, shame boy, shame boy!'

'He knows who I am.' Sam replied.

'He must do.' Fiona apologised.

'Hey, enough of that; this ain't your fault. None of it; demons are cowards, bullies. I want you to remember that, always. Can you do that?'

Fiona smiled; she would. Realising at that moment, she felt like a child again. A child who had been given a pet talk.

'Now, I'll suppose you're all wondering if we found anything on those tapes.'

'And did you?'

'I'm afraid so. We now think your home might be haunted by a demon.'

Fiona and her family didn't look surprised. Not after all the terrors they had gone through so far.

'We thought it might be that.'

'And that is why I would like to ask you a few questions and for you to both answer yes or no.'

'Sure, anything, fire away.' Steven said.

'I wish it were that easy.' Sam said, looking unsettled. 'Yet some questions could make you feel uncomfortable. Nevertheless, they are for your benefit, and it's best you answer them truthfully. Okay?'

'Sure.' Came the answer.

Sam smiled.

'Okay, my first question, have you ever taken part in any unholy ritual such as witchcraft, tarot reading, or meddled with an Ouija board?'

'No.'

'Do you believe in God?'

'No.'

'Were you ever abused during your childhood? Sexually, that is?'

'No.'

'Why ask us something like that?' Fiona asked.

'Because sexual abuse is an invitation for the demonic. Take the Earling, Iwona possession?'

'What's that?'

'Probably the most famous case of demonic possession in the twentieth century. Without it, you wouldn't have such films — as The Exorcist, although that story is actually based on a fourteen-year-old boy. The Earling possession is quite different.'

'In what way?'

'It tells the story of a young woman who, because she wouldn't have an incest relationship with her father, the man cursed his own flesh and blood to the devil. The woman, when possessed, would transform into a hideous monster. In the novel Begone, Satan described the woman's lips swelling to the size of hands and other disturbing acts.'

Fiona noticed that the girls looked unsettled by the Earling account.

'I think we should move on. The girls look a bit frightened.'

Sam looked over at the girls; he could see how frightened they both looked and gave the promise of one more question.

'Are any of your children going through puberty?'

'Just me.' Harmony replied.

'I see.'

'Why is that important?' Fiona wanted to know.

'Puberty, especially in females, is a high source of energy for ghosts and poltergeists. During a poltergeist's experience, emotional stress from teenagers who are going through puberty allows the poltergeist to use this energy. Demons take it a step further and use it for their own advantages. And if they don't have that energy, they simply create it.'

'How?' Steven wanted to know.

'By your own fears, anxieties.'

'So, any ideas why all this is happening?'

'Giving your answers — my only suggestion. The demon was here before you moved in.'

'I think it started before that — when I heard the scratching at the bedroom window.'

'Good spirits will always try to warn you if the supernatural will invade your lives.'

'I don't think it was a good spirit. You see; I saw him, even before we moved here; the old man.'

Steven looked shocked by what Fiona said.

'Why didn't you say anything?'

'Because at the time, we were moving into this damn house, the kids were playing up; I had a splitting headache, and I seriously thought it was my imagination. I didn't know it would lead to this, did I?'

'I suppose not.' Steven said, apologising.

'So, how do we get rid of it?'

'You might not be able to!'