Chapter 21

On the 1st of March, Fiona complained about her arm because it wouldn't stop itching, especially with the cast on it.

'This arm is driving me fucking nuts.' She said as the family sat together in the living room, watching telly.

'What's up? Have you got an inch? Try scratching it with something.' Katrina said.

Fiona shook her head.

'Listen to it — will you? The brain of Britain sat over there. It's a cast; I can't get anything up there, can I?'

'I was only saying; you don't have to be so grouchy.'

'Nobody being grouchy, and don't start sulking.'

Fiona knew her children; she knew the moods; they would go into, often highlighted with little gestures. Katrina, when she was about to sulk, would make a tutting sound, and that's when she did.

'I'm not sulking.' She argued.

'No, well, tell that to your face then.'

The tension was building up between the mother and daughter. Steven could feel it, and he came into the conversation.

'It will ease it up in time.'

'What, the broken arm?'

'Yeah.'

'Well, that's a relief to know — because my arm has been itchy for two days now.'

'Well, is there anything you can take for it?' Steven asked.

'Yeah, sod all, that's what I can take for it.'

Shaking her head, Fiona looked down at her arm and told Steven about Chris coming around tonight.

'Yeah, I forgot to mention it.'

'What time at?'

'Eight. He's coming round to get those tapes.'

'Well, let's just hope they have something on them.'

'Let's hope so.' Fiona said, looking at her mobile phone.

'He'll be here soon.'

'You reckon we should tell him about your arm? What happened?' Steven asked.

'I can tell him, but what is he going to do about it?'

'Not much, I guess.' Steven said, putting a hand to his mouth, his eyes squinting in pain.

'Is your toothache starting again?'

Steven found the question ridiculous. 'When does it ever stop?' He asked.

Fiona looked at Steven, wishing she could do something about his toothache, but there was nothing she could do.

'Take something for it.'

'I think I will.' Steven said, going into the kitchen and putting some clover oil on his gums. Back in the front room, Fiona wanted to know if he had taken something for it.

'Clover oil.'

'Is it working?'

'A bit.'

That was all Steven had to say, and bang on eight o'clock, Chris arrived with Lisa.

'Come in.' Fiona said, the cast on her arm not difficult to miss.

'What happened there?'

'You know, the same old. What we got in our house.'

'It broke your arm!' Chris spurted out.'Are you in any pain?'

'A little, yeah, but it's this damn itch. I can't get rid of it.