Chapter 7 "KYLE"

Depuis le début

I would love to think that everything was just a joke, but unfortunately it was the cool truth. I could neither make her laugh nor hug her. I could only watch, not knowing how to comfort her.

Seeing no reaction, Violet almost burst into tears. She was looking for the response in my eyes, but didn't find it. And what could I answer her? That the woman who was like a sister to me died because of my plan?

I felt a lump in my throat, looking at Violet's hunched back and her lowered shoulders. I couldn't lie to her, saying that everything was going to be fine. Because I wasn't sure that we would be able to fix that.

"No, Vai. This is not a joke," I confirmed the grim news of that morning in a low voice, trying to defuse the situation between me and Violet. Although I knew it was a dead end. That day would hardly be better than the previous one. "I was an idiot, thinking that I could fool them. And besides, I lost a friend who was close to me, dammit! Sarah was a good person." I confessed to Violet, while she was listening to me, not interrupting at all. It seemed that I saw the contempt in her eyes for what I did to my real friend.

Was I an immoral freak? Because only a real bastard could have sent his own friend to the death. After all, I thought that it could happen. But I believed in miracles like a dunce! In fact miracles didn't exist; there was only gray, and sometimes grim reality.

"I feel so sorry for you..." Violet suddenly whimpered, wiping her small nose with the back of her hand and hanging her head dismally. She forgot about manners, and personally I didn't care. I had to quickly hide her away from the city.

"Although I didn't know her, I worried about her so much. I was hoping that everything would go well... But it didn't happen. Besides, if it were not for me, she would be still alive... I'm guilty for her death..." Violet muttered, before I cut her off in mid-sentence.

"Violet, you shouldn't blame yourself, damn! What could you do about it?" I was almost screaming, even though she wasn't listening to me. She was completely immersed in her own world and didn't even give a glance at me.

What the heck I make her suffer? Dumbass!

"Jesus!" Violet continued, not even responding to my yell. "What kind of monsters are those habitues of that damned club?! They enjoy not only sex, but violence as well?" She called out, condemning negatively what they did to my best friend. "Are they getting away with it???"

Her eyes were still staring at the photo of Sarah's mutilated and charred corpse, which lay on the pavement. It was frightful even to look at my friend's body, let alone to imagine what they were making to her. She had no hair, no skin, she was a just an impersonal corpse. Police haven't yet identified her, probably due to the fact that the documents were seized by killers.

I recognized Sarah by the piece of shoe, which apparently wasn't burnt completely when those freaks set fire to her. I knew how she was dressed that night to the slightest detail. Before her departure she sent me the photo of her full face and profile by WhatsApp. She asked me if her outfit would fit that meeting. I chuckled at the moment, answering her that she looked great like a queen, and in response she sent me a smiley and a tasty kiss. Now it was just the memory of a good person whom Sarah was.

I didn't understand why Violet was blaming herself for Sarah's death? It was me who was guilty. The worst thing was that I had evidence that could convict those bastards for the murder of my friend: her photo, her driver's license, and many other things that she had left me. I knew that if they searched me and found them, it would be a disaster. I would be definitely in big trouble and would lose everything. Maybe even my life.

Although now I wasn't thinking about my wealth. I thought how I became such a scumbag. I was afraid to do something that went against the canons of my life. I was a coward and wasn't proud of this.