A Witness To Her Skills

“What are we going to do?!”

         Skyler seemed to ignore him, as she crossed her arms and glared at the guards. There seemed to be a least ten guards with those sticks. Even though they seemed to be just little children, they didn’t slow down to talk.

         “You got us into this mess!” Ryan cried. “How are we going to get out of this- alive?”

         “Oh, stop your whining and take care of these guys!” She snapped, rolling her eyes. It was as if she didn’t think it was a big enough deal to worry over, and just continued to stand there calmly like it was nothing.

         “W-What?”

         Did she bring him here just for this? Was he here to distract the guards or something so she could sneak in? No way was he stupid enough to get tricked into something like this. She wouldn’t do that….right?

         “Um, did you-“

         “If your not going to do it, then I will!” she said, annoyed.

         They’d wasted time. The guards were only inches away by now, and the only way out was straight through the line of stick waving wardens.

         Ryan blinked, and she was gone.

         Surprised, he swung his eyes in a complete circle, searching for her.

         “What the Hell?”

         Ryan stopped, eyes widening at the sight in front of him.

         “S-Skyler?”

         “Did you just pull my hair?” She asked incredulously.

         He couldn’t believe it.

         She had taken one of the guard’s sticks from him and held it in one of her hands while she used the other to hold the man’s arm behind his back. Bend it any farther and she was seconds away from dislocating it.

         “Hello? I’m talking to you here!”

         The guard stayed silent, his eyes pleading the others for help.

         “Hey! Look ou-“

Another one tried to grab at her, but she’d already seen it coming.

Ryan didn’t even need to warn her. It was as if she knew what was about to happen and dodged it before anyone got close.

Crack!

The guard screamed.

His arm was dislocated.

Throwing the screaming guard aside, Skyler ducked from a sudden fist, landing a neat punch of her own to the man’s throat. He dropped to the ground, painfully clutching his throat.

Two others hesitantly came at her from both sides, sticks high in the air ready to smack her down. She didn’t look scared though.

No, she actually seemed to be a bit…excited. Thrilled, even.

The first one paused before he swung his club, a big mistake on his part.

Seeing this as an opportunity, Skyler slipped beside him, brushing against his side, making him freeze. Smiling, her hand shot out behind him right below his neck, yanking on one of the straps to his helmet. It was like a buckle, yet it broke easily from the force of her pull.

Taking off his helmet, she dropped down before he could slam the club stick to her head.

“I like this,” she said. “I think I’ll keep it!”

Skyler let it fall onto her own head, spinning around in circles around the guards as they chased her. She enjoyed mocking them.

“Oh my God…” Ryan felt himself stumble backwards to the wall. She really knew how to fight. This was just child’s play though, and for some reason, he knew she knew that as well. He also didn’t think that this was all she was capable of. And that caught his admiration for her.

He wasn’t worried though. They probably matched each other’s skills on their combat levels. Ryan knew he could win.

RIIIIIIINNGGGGG

Suddenly, a piercing ringing screeched through the air. An alarm.

“One of the guards must’ve seen from the search towers up there!” Skyler shouted, hastily taking off the helmet. “We gotta go now, fun’s over!”

Fun?

“Ryan, let’s go!”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming!” he said, sprinting after her, the guards hot on their heels.

“I can’t believe we’re doing this right now,” he muttered, coming up beside her.

“I’m glad you decided to join me!” she huffed sarcastically.

“Excuse me? You’re the one who jumped in there!”

“I offered, didn’t I?”

. . .

Skyler grabbed his arm as she lunged around a corner. An old rusting blue door stood closed between two large wired fences on either side of it.

“Quick, go through that door!”

“But what if it’s locked! It is a prison!”

“I have a key, moron!”

“What? Where did you get a key to a prison?!”

“Up your butt and around the corner,” she deadpanned.

“Okay then.”

She stopped at the door, her hands slamming against the knob. A small copper key was in her hand, as she slammed it into the key hole, turning it from side to side until it opened.

Ryan turned to see that they had lost the guards, a couple zooming past the corner they’d turned from.

Suddenly, he heard the creak of a door opening, his head whipping back around.

“We’re in.”