Chapter Fourteen - 'My Bad'

Start from the beginning

"You got me," I said, feigning surrender.

"How many times have you been punched in the face, my man?" Tyler snickered, punching Reece jokingly on his arm. I had to do a double take to realise Reece was smirking and I can't help but feel a little satisfied that he finally looks to be enjoying himself, even if it was at my trivial expense, even if it only lasted a second.

-

The ride home hadn't been as tense as I'd initially thought it would be when I got in. Kimmy kept up a light conversation through it all, which avoided the tension. Tyler had decided to drive and I rode shotgun whereas the situation in the back though looked to be a happy coincidence that Kimmy happened to sit between the brothers, was anything but, as we all got in, Ash had gone around the car to sit window and avoid being next to Reece who'd resorted back to his phone.

I had explained that my suggestion to bring them over to my home was on a whim and I truly had nothing in mind for us to do there but Kimmy and Ash had assured me that they didn't mind. Reece remained silent for the whole ride, his attention elsewhere out the window as his eyes followed the scenery that past. I caught myself after staring at him through the reflection for a little too long.

"Woah." I hear Ash as he gets out of the car and ogles at the house before him. I catch his eyes and force a smile, unsure how to react.

I gesture them away from the front door and towards the gate, "We're going in from the back."

"You forgot your keys again?" Tyler snickered as we go through the gate, "One of these days, that gate will be locked and you'll be stranded out front."

I laugh, "I'll deal with that when it finally happens."

Tyler is already familiar with entrance and goes to the big window that just as foolishly as the gate, is unlocked. He pulls it open with a hard couple of tugs and gestures us in. I go in first, followed by Reece.

"I feel like I'm in a movie!" Kimmy giggles.

"Be careful there's also-"

Then she yelps.

I blindly run over to switch on the lights of the guest room. "-a broken sharp lock at the bottom and nails that stick up from the side." I finish, looking to see that Kimmy, had, in fact, cut herself just below the knee where her dress ends. And though It doesn't look to be too bad, I express wild concern anyway. "Are you okay?" I shriek. I almost want to laugh at myself, if it'd been me or Tyler we'd tell each other to get over it. But Kimmy was a guest and though we've been friends for a while now, It'd still feel wrong to start treating her the same rough way as Tyler.

Kimmy grins and waves her hand dismissively, "Just a scratch."

Ash rushes in, followed by Tyler, "What happened?" Ash asked, evidently concerned.

Kimmy points to her knee, where her scratches had now started bleeding.

Apart from her knee, I notice blood elsewhere. I turn back to stare at her wound, then back at the window where there were fresh droplets of blood along the bottom of the open window frame and on the floor. The situation is odd yet clear, it's not her blood as she had just begun bleeding only seconds ago. I look down at myself to inspect for any wounds- Most of the time I found that I tended not to feel wounds until it's pointed out to me, but I'm wearing my coat and jeans and just about every inch of my skin is covered, It's not my blood either.