Chapter 36

I sit quietly in the shadows, waiting for a sign. Well, not just any sign - the sign. The one they'd promised would let me know when it's okay. The one that means they're safe. My heart beats worried, fast beats and the torture of waiting stinks. 

It's almost as bad as the flight back...honestly, I never want to fly again. Sure, Archer may have liked it, but that was just nerve wracking and too much of an anxiety booster. Not to mention very scary. It may be because I'm half fox now, but I still don't like it - well, other than the fact that I got to fly with Archer. That made it a bit better. Okay, a lot better. But I won't admit it out loud. 

A loud sound catches my ear and I look up at the sprawling castle before me. I squint my eyes a little to try to find what happened. Then, like using bifocals, my eyes zone in on people running through the square. It's like I'm standing right there with them. I focus on the faces turned my direction and see...fear. Unbridled terror is etched on their faces. My heart and stomach drop to the floor and I immediately jump up and take off toward them.  

I'm a little frustrated that I let Archer talk me into letting Snow ride Beauty into the fight. I push my legs to drive me faster through the forest. I still have that crazy vision - it's like it's all blurring past, yet I take in everything. I see each blade of grass, every particle of dust...it's surreal.  

I don't even notice when I've reached the castle grounds at first. I'm too busy trying to figure out what's happened to my sight...a loud crashing noise breaks me from my thoughts. When I look up, I see flying boys and dwarfs running around the streets.  

"Where's the others?" I ask Half Pint. 

"They're inside, miss." he yells and runs toward some guards with swords. 

I nod and rush toward the doors. I duck when I hear the swish of a sword coming at my head. It barely misses my ear and the rush of wind that follows sends a chill down my spine. Before the sword can come back, I swipe out my hand and feel my nails catch on something for a second before I feel the air wiping on something wet on my fingers. I look down and see a red liquid on my finger tips. Blood. 

Also, my nails are like long talons. 

"What the...?" I ask to no one in particular.  

Hearing the sound of metal clanking down with the weight of heavy feet snaps me out of it. I snap up to my feet and rush inside. I have to find the others, they're here somewhere. When I feel safe enough to stop, I hide in a small alcove and close my eyes listening. My ears scan each room as I try to find something, I'm searching for him. Honestly, I'm so scared that he's dead that it's hard to share that same focus with Snow and Donovan.  

Then I hear something...a heartbeat. Like it's calling out to me and me alone. With my eyes still closed, I follow the tantalizing noise through the corridors of the castle. I get the strange feeling that it's the most important sound I'll ever hear.  

"What're you doing?" a voice says behind me. 

I open my eyes and find I'm in the Queen's chambers. "What?" I ask quietly.  

"Are you okay, Skye?" the voice says again and I turn slowly to find Archer standing behind me. 

"Archer!" I sigh and rush over to pull him into my arms.  

"Wait, do you hear that?" he asks, pulling back a little. 

I nod and give him a small smile. Grabbing his hand I walk over to a large mirror and reach out to it. To my astonishment, my hand goes right through the glass like it's liquid and soon my entire body follows. When I reach the other side, I see a small flight of stairs leading down into something. I take the first step as Archer follows me through.  

"Is this what I think it is?" he asks, taking my hand. 

It's funny, but that small contact makes my heart leap with joy and I nod to let him know we've found it. Rumpelstiltskin told me I'd know how to find this place, and he was right.  

"Wait, Skye!" he says and I turn around, confused about why he'd stop me. "We don't have to do this. I don't care about some stupid heart...I only need you. And if getting my heart back means you have to lose your ears and tail to help out someone like Rumpelstiltskin...well, I don't need it." 

"What are you saying?" I ask, feeling a little dizzy with being so close to him - close enough that our noses touch.  

"I don't want you to give up your tail and ears. They make you, you. I don't know what you looked like before all this happened, but I think the way you are now shows who you've been all along." he says, leaning forward and placing a light, fleeting kiss to my lips. 

I open my mouth to answer him when a shrill roar pierces my ears. "I think it's too late to turn back now."  

I take the last steps and look up into the eyes of a terrifying dragon.

______________________________________________________________________________

So, how do you think Archer's been feeling that way about Skye? Do you think she'll still help Rumple? What's going to happen next? Also, what do you think was going on in Skye's head when she saw the blood? Do you think she may go against Archer's reuest because of fear of what she can do?

Vote and comment.

Always yours,

Kera