Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

As predicted, Mother was screaming at Father by the time I made it to the door. Not that I would blame her, what with the extra time I took balling my eyes out...then having to pull myself back together again. All that made my return later than what I had hoped. 

The moon was high, signaling the night was already half over and tomorrow would be a long day. I rolled my eyes and opened the door and dashed to the stairs. Basically, I just wanted to go to bed and deal with Mother's anger and questions in the morning...if I didn't sleep it away.  

Sadly, I'm not lucky enough for that kind of treatment. 

"There you are!" I heard her squeal before she rushed over and grabbed my hand, pulling me down the few steps I managed to ascend and straight into the "party room" as she puts it. Although, I've had yet to see a party actually held there. Maybe they were waiting until I was presented at court to throw a ball. Whatever. 

"Now, Ruben, tell her exactly as we practiced. You know, about how improper it is to make..." After a while I let her voice fade into nothing as she rambled on and on about how my unconventional behavior. I did make sure to look ashamed of myself, though I did not add to why I had been gone so long - other than not paying attention to where the sun was. Then she complained about how I spent my time, wasting away to help to villagers rather than going to every social event known to the five kingdoms. If she had it her way I would only be home to eat, sleep, bathe, and dress.  

After what seemed to be forever, Father finally interrupted her. "Dear, it has been a long day for all of us and it is very late. I believe our daughter knows just how much she has inconvenienced you in staying out so long. Now, let this day go to rest and start the next with happier spirits." 

My father always had a way with diffusing my mother when she was upset. He would make it sound like I was completely at fault to clam her while he was really saying she shouldn't be so uptight about everything. I smirked behind her as she smiled at him, accepting that I was the blame. I almost wanted to laugh at how, even though she has known him much longer than I, she still cannot read behind his words.  

As soon as she went to the stairs I gave Father a grateful glance and followed her up the staircase. I immediately made my way to my bedroom and took a deep breath as I opened the door. Once I stepped inside, I stopped to take in my room for a moment - but all I really just wanted to jump on top of the bed and fall fast asleep. The midnight blue curtains that showed off my favorite view of the valley were tied shut. I looked over at the bed with its intricate silver frame, bright blue cover, dark blue pillows, and silver canopy. The same colors were repeated around the room, but even though the room was breathtaking, all I wanted was that blessed sleep the bed promised.  

I darted across the room and, just as I was about to make the leap - fully clothed and covered in dirt from the day - I heard the door knob turn. I managed to turn around just in time for the housekeeper, Margarett, to walk in. Seriously, at her age, she should have gone to bed herself long before now. Clumsily, I managed to turn my momentum into sitting down. When I finally looked at her face was the moment I realized just how much trouble I was in.  

"How dare you." she whispered harshly as she paced. "Leaving us all to think you were dead somewhere and that we'd never find you. Your mother was running about the house and your father...don't get me started on all he did. But none of that seemed to matter when he looked out the old window in his study and came back saying it was all fine. I looked out myself and noticed he'd seen you walking up the dirt path. Your face looked ashen and there was an odd look of determination in your eyes. I don't know what made him so calm, but he was a new man and the whole house - all but your mother of course - came down with that same calm. All the others are in bed now and tomorrow will just come work like nothing happened. But I just want you to listen here, young lady! You don't do that to me ever again." Her voice broke on the last sentence and I noticed she was starting to cry.  

I quickly went over to her and hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry, there was just some...things that were messing with my brain." 

"Oh, what did that old Rumpelstiltskin do this time?" she asked, and it amazed me at how she knew these kinds of things all the time. I had no secrets with her around.  

I managed a small smile and looked up into those all-knowing eyes of hers. "He...he's made a huge mistake this time and I can't help him through this one. Some kids were messing with Kaige and he stepped in. The guards that interfered recognized him and threatened to take Kaige away, saying he would become a soldier or something. He wouldn't listen when I told him to just leave or bring Kaige here. Now the idiot believes he needs to become the Source to protect his name and Kaige...if it weren't for his stupid pride I would have been here ages ago. They both would be safe." I said, sobbing into her shoulder when she wrapped an arm around my shoulder. I hadn't exactly meant to spill everything, but it all just came out. 

She hugged me tighter to her and made soothing noises against my hair. I cried for the second time that night in the arms of the woman who raised me when my mother couldn't at times. The one who never judged me before listening to the whole story. The one who made me want to spill every secret - even though I knew she most likely knew what I would say for days before I finally spilled my guts. The one that made me believe everything would be all right in the end.  

After fifteen minutes she mumbled something about how the next day would be a long day's work for her and the staff. She looked me square in the eye, contemplating something, before heading over to grab my nightdress from the wardrobe. She placed it gently on the bed and set up the changing blind - a wooden contraption that reminded me oddly of a large accordion. I quietly wiped the tears from my eyes and moved behind it. Slowly, we took off each layer - thankfully there wasn't as much to remove as there had been with my ball gown. Then she quietly walked over to the bed, grabbed my nightdress, and handed it to me.  

"By the way, your mother has another dance for you to attend." she said, as if it was no big deal that I was hearing about it after the decision that I would attend without even consulting me first.  

I shook my head and asked, "And when will this one be?" 

She looked a little sheepish as she turned to pull the bed sheets out for me to climb in. "Tomorrow night." 

I sighed and laid down , letting her tuck me in. "I shouldn't be surprised. Were you planning to wait until I was tucked into the new dress and in the carriage to finally let me in on this secret?" 

She smiled down at me and kissed my forehead. "Don't be silly! I would have told you right before I pulled out the gown."  

Her impish smile made me laugh, momentarily forgetting about Rumple and his awful choice. "Of course." 

As she left and darkness filled the room, I was finally able to fall into a peaceful sleep.