Chapter 19

I finish tacking up my horse and grab the reigns. Beauty and I walk out of the barn and I stop short. Allan and Will are standing in front of me, blocking my path. Robin comes up from behind me - almost appearing out of thin air.

"Are you sure you want to go back out there?" Robin asks, walking around me to look me square in the eye.

I nod. "It's what she'd do for me, guys. She and I played together as children. She was the one waiting when I woke up after passing out at the ball. She was there when I found out about Mom and Dad...now it's my turn."

Robin nods and pulls me into a hug. I close my eyes tightly and fight off the tears as hard as I can. I breath his scent in, trying to memorize it. Make it stay in my senses forever. Or at least until I can get Snow out of this mess...

"We'll miss you." I hear a familiar voice.

I completely loose it and look up at Little John, tears flowing down my face. "I'll miss you too."

I rush over to his and wrap my arms around his slightly rounded belly. He returns my hug gleefully and I hear his almost-silent sobs. I pull back to smile at him, receiving his watery smile in return.

"Take care, freak." he says, mock punching my chin.

I feign pain and throw my head back half-heartedly. "Always...I learned from the best, after all. Little John."

I look over at Will and he rushes forward, wrapping me up in his arms. A place that makes me feel secure and wish I don't have to go anywhere. I bury my face into his chest for a moment before pulling back.

"Don't do anything too stupid while I'm gone...that includes listening to any dumb ideas the guys throw around. Try to image what I'd say to each plan they concoct." I say, trying to stop the flow of tears.

He nods. "I'll just say 'don't be a nard.'"

I smile and look over at Allan. He's crying almost as much as me. I guess Marion was right...he's fallen for me. I bite my lip as a new round of tears pile up. I rush over to him and he lifts me into his arms. We stay like that for quite some time. Not needing words to explain how we feel. To be honest, that kiss did more to me than I knew...but I also know - without a doubt - that there's someone better for him out there. When we pull apart, he nods - as if knowing exactly what I'm thinking. A few more tears escape and he wipes them off my face.

"A beautiful woman should never look so sad. To be honest, after we first met, I vowed to never let you cry for someone like me. I understand these aren't solely for me...but I still don't like it. Go out there and find your destiny." he says, kissing my forehead before slowly backing away.

Robin guides Beauty over to me and holds her steady for me to get on the saddle. Little John comes over and gives me a leg up - even though we both know I don't need it. Will hands me some food and I shove it into my saddle bag. I bite my lip, glad the others didn't join us. I'm glad Djack, Mutch, Roy, Gawain, Marion, and the other ten men aren't here to see this. They need to remember my parting from lunch. They need to see me as the strong sister of Robin Hood. Because, if they saw me now, they'd be sad and would worry too much.

Before the situation gets any worse, I nudge Beauty forward. "See you soon."

And with that, we take off. We weave through the thicket and out the cave, shooting out into Sherwood Forest. We ride for hours until we reach the boarder of Snow's kingdom. I know going any farther into this land will result in my death. So I head into the one place that Snow can hide...the Forbidden Forest. A dark place full of magic and danger. A place that could kill a person....

We ride through the forest for days...only stopping every once in a while to eat, drink, and rest. I know how important it is to stay rested and healthy when alone in a forest.

"At least you're being smart." Beauty says, sounding a tad angry.

"What's your problem?" I ask, leaning against a fallen tree.

We stopped around ten minutes ago to rest up for the night. She's been getting angrier and angrier with me since we left the camp. I don't know why...mostly because she's been refusing to speak with me for these last couple of days.

"You left them...you didn't even ask if it would be okay with me. You just left. You took my home from me - again!" she says, turning her head away from me.

I sigh and look down at our fire. "I didn't want to leave, Beauty...but we had to. I'm sorry for not asking you about it. I didn't take the time to stop and think about what this meant for you. And I'm terribly sorry for that."

She makes a weird noise that sounds like a cross between a whinny and a growl. It's kind of creepy really. "Fine, I accept your apology...but you owe me an extra treat."

I smile and reach into my bag, pulling out two sugar cubes and a few carrots. Might as well indulge her profusely to get her to fully forgive me.

She closes her mouth around the lot of it and eats it whole. We both laugh once she's done and snow starts f=to fall from the sky. She moves over closer to me and uses her warmth to keep me from freezing. I sigh happily from the relief her heat brings and instantly fall asleep after pulling my blanket up around my shoulders.

______________________________________________________________________________

Man, goodbyes stink! I was crying so hard while writing this...I feel bad that she has to leave her home - again! So...how do you feel about the Merry Men and everyone so far?

I hope you enjoy this chapter and vote/comment.

Always yours,

Kera