Chapter 8

We barely glance at each other before we rush off toward the sound. There's a scuffle and some screaming. I hear Margaret yelling at someone to stop. I rush inside and notice several guards in the small living room.  

"What's going on here?" I ask, stepping up to one who looks a little familiar. I can almost swear that I've seen this dark, almost jet-black, messy haired man with eyes as dark as night somewhere before.  

"We're here to recruit all eligible boys in each town to fight for the Queen's army." the man answers, staring at me with passive, unseeing eyes. 

His eyes look so empty...it's like he's sleepwalking or something. 

"Why does the Queen need an army?" I ask. 

"A danger approaches and she has ordered this," is his oh-so-helpful reply. 

I fight the urge to roll my eyes before stepping between the soldiers and Kaige. Margaret rushes behind me and wraps her arms protectively around the boy. I don't even see Rumple in the room yet.  

The man grabs me by the arm as two other push past me. I fight as hard as I can as he drags me outside. I can tell that times are about to get much worse for everyone - the sky has turned a dark charcoal color and all I see are foreboding clouds as far as the eye can see. The wind is blowing the trees around like they're small, days-old twigs rather than centuries old.  

The man throws me onto the ground and I hit my arm on a large rock. I yelp out in pain as something - no someone - is thrown on top of me. Margaret rolls off me and hurls herself at the men. She crumples to the ground and rolls into a ball, whimpering, after the one who'd grabbed me slapped her across the face.  

Just as I'm about to rush them, Rumple shows up out of nowhere. Literally, appearing right in front of me. Blocking me from the soldiers. He lifts his hands in an attempt to stop them. 

"Please! Just leave us alone...we've already suffered enough heartache for one day..." he pleads and I watch the dark man as he works up a response. 

"The Queen does not care about the hardship of a day when the kingdom's in danger." As soon as the words leave his lips, I know what's about to happen. 

Rumple's hand slowly lifts in the air and he points right at the man holding Kaige by the arm. My heart breaks when I see the fear-fueled tears streaming down his face.  

"This is my last warning." Rumple says. 

I wait, not breathing, as the soldiers merely stare at him. I let out a scream when a blinding beam of light shoots from Rumple's hand and right into the chest of the one holding onto Kaige. In slow motion, the man slumps to the ground. Dead. Kaige starts to run as another man grabs him. Soon, that man is dead as well.  

I don't know why, but when the dark man grabs Kaige and holds a knife to his throat, I jump between Rumple and the men. His eyes widen in disbelief as he watches me. 

"Please! Don't do this?" I say, tears running down my face. "This is how it starts..." 

"Don't worry, dearie," he says, a settled calm taking over his features, "once these men are gone...no one will try to come after us again." 

When he steps around me and aims at the man again, I grab his arm and push him onto the ground. I turn to the soldier. 

"Go! Get out of here!" I shout, but he doesn't pay attention. 

I hurry over to him and try to shove him away. He grabs my hands and holds me back from him. Then, I see it, the first emotion from him other than determination. Fear. He's scared, but doesn't seem to be able to go anywhere. I furrow my brow in confusion. 

"No!" I hear Rumple roar and something white-hot hits me in the spine.  

I hiss in a sharp breath and suspend in the air for a moment before falling to my knees. A searing agony shoots through my body and heat begins to set my insides aflame.  

Then, my head starts that awful ringing again as I clutch at it in pain. My eyes make contact with Kaige for a moment before they make contact with the man's. I see fear and pain in his as the ringing get louder. Then, all I can feel is scorching heat and a strange tingling around my ears, feet, and backside. It feels like my bones are converging on themselves and trying to tear me apart.  

I write around on the ground as the guards make their escape...I only notice because I see Kaige reaching out for me as they carry him away.  

Suddenly, I feel hand on me as I look up into Rumple's eyes. He looks scared and hurt and shocked and confused. Like he doesn't know what's happening...but we both know this is his fault. I see his lips forming the word 'sorry' over and over again.  

I shut my eyes as I let the pain work itself out.  

Suddenly, I feel nothing. And then, everything. Miraculously, the pain is no more, but there's something different.  

I hear the rushing of the river, but that's not possible - the river's at least a mile west of here...closer to my old home. I also hear heartbeats...not my own, but those of Margaret and Rumple - along with the rushing ones of the soldiers rushing as far from here as they can get. 

Then a smell reaches my nose. It reminds me of the tree bark of an Elm and wild grass - I realize it must be Rumple's scent, just enhanced. Then I smell a lavender mixed with...is that rosemary? Margaret. She's always reminded me of those whenever she hugs me.  

I furrow my brow as I open my eyes. The sun's back up, but there are still a few lingering clouds...thought, they're now a puffy white and pink shade. I notice that I can see the lines of the cloud in very distinct patterns. Also, I can make out little dust particles in the air. I look around in confusion as my eyes make contact with Rumple's. 

"I'm so sorry, dearie! I never meant...." he says, choking on his words. "It's part of the deal I made..." 

I clench my teeth and look over at Margaret...she silently holds up a mirror she keeps in her pocket - for the days my mother would request for it. I look in the mirror and gasp in shock. 

Silent tears streak down my face and take in my appearance.

______________________________________________________________________________

Yay! The curse has finally reared its ugly head!! I honestly don't know why this excites me so much, but whatever.

Anyways, tell me what you think about this chapter...I've been looking forward to this one for a while now.

Always yours,

Kera