Chapter 37

"Get back." Archer says, pushing me behind him.

"No! Wait for me at the top of the stairs...I'll fight it." I say, pulling his shoulder.

"Skye, why can't you listen to me." he sighs. "I want to fight this thing - for you. For us. For everyone out there who cannot fight for themselves. This is for all those who have been taken advantage of and manipulated. This is for my friends...those too scared to go against her."

"Okay...but this time we do this. Together." I say, nodding as the beast breaths down on us.

Another piercing roar breaks the silence around us and a chill runs down my spine. The dragon takes a deep breath and I can see the spark forming at the back of his throat. Without thinking, I tackle Archer to the ground just as the flames come within an inch of our heads.

"Thanks." he smiles up at me.

I nod and we jump to our feet in unison. We share a look and nod at the same time before running around the room, going in opposite directions to confuse the dragon. From the way we're moving, so in sync - it's like we're reading each others mind.

"Go ahead and I'll distract it." he says, nodding to the opening.

I nod, knowing I can't do anything to change his mind. I take off down the corridor and follow it to a wide, open space. Of course, the walls are lined with all sorts of things. One wall is covered in tiny drawers - hundreds of heartbeats coming from it. The one directly across has only a few trinkets: a large tapestry that really just looks like a carpet, a lamp, a spinning wheel, a golden goblet, a sword embedded in stone, a beautiful necklace made of blue and white gems, and - the most important, a mirror. A mirror large enough the be conspicuous but small enough to be easily carried.

A horrible scream from the other room puts my hear in a frenzy. Forgetting about the collection of objects and wall of hearts I rush toward the horrifying noises. When I finally make it to the room, the dragon has sunk it's teeth into Archer's leg. His sword lies precariously on the floor in front of me. Bending down, I grab the weapon and rush over to them, stabbing at the creature's face.

With a roar, it lets him go and swings its head around to look over at me. I take a couple steps back to get its focus solely on me. The dragon watches me closely as I shift from foot to foot.

"What do you think you're doing, little one? Coming into my home with weapons and no clue about the password. Tsk, tsk, tsk. The queen's getting sloppy and I have to clean her mess. Oh, how I hate that woman." the dragon says, apparently he doesn't know I can hear him.

"Then why don't you turn against her? Show her the real one in charge." I ask, and by the look in his eyes he's surprised.

"Did you just....lower your hood, child." he demands and I have no choice but to follow his direction.

A deep throaty chuckle emanates around the room as he takes me in.

"Ah, I get it. You can hear us, all of us. Well to answer your question, child, I have guarded many of these treasures beyond - which you've already seen - for a very long time. Thousands of years, in fact. And I will not abandon them. Even if it is to teach that leech a lesson." he snarls.

"But, if you help us, I can guarantee they be returned to their original home. Or you can stay here and I will personally make sure no one disturbs you again once we return the hearts to their owners." I say and notice Archer giving me a strange look.

"That would benefit us both." the dragon says slowly.

"And you can take your revenge on the queen in doing so. We all don't want her around anymore, why not help each other out?" I ask trying to keep my eyes from wandering to Archer.

"That would be good but...nah, I like this. Besides, she feeds me. It's nice not to have to go out searching for food when someone feeds you the ones who displease her - which happens more often than not." he says and snaps his teeth at me.

"But why help her when she keeps you prisoner?" I ask in a last effort attempt as I back into the wall.

"A well fed prisoner." he says, coming at me again.

Closing my eyes I point the sword upward, feeling the blade piercing through the skin all the way to the hilt. With a roar, the dragon pulls back and looks at me in shock. It's like he didn't expect me to protect myself. Then he starts thrashing about and I can hear his heartbeat picking up before he collapses. His heart slows and he looks at me with sad eyes.

"I'm sorry." I say as his eyes shut and he dies.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Yes, every fairy tale needs its dragon fight. But how do you feel about the dragon? Do you feel sorry for him or do you think he got what he deserved? He had his chance and gave it up? What do you think about Skye at this point?

Vote and comment.

Always yours,

Kera