Chapter 27

"Well, first you'll have to go to her kingdom. She's got this vault thing - of course, you'll need a suitable distraction to get in there. Deep down in the vault there's a large room with a multitude of the hearts she's collected over the years. She labels them...sometimes. So you'll have to take your friend with you." he stops, looking at me to make sure I've got it all. I nod.

"Then on the other wall of this room is a large mirror - easy enough for one person to carry." he says with a wave of his hand. "Your friend will be drawn to their heart - that's the good thing about a heart, it likes to pull it's owner to it."

"But, if we have the heart, how do you know we'll come back with the mirror?" I ask.

"That's easy! For one, it's very hard to put the heart back inside - you might kill the poor idiot if you twitch your hand just so. So, you'll leave the heart in its protective little box and come to me. I'll insert this person's heart and you'll give me the mirror. It's as simple as that." he says with a shrug, as if any of this is simple.

"What's the catch?" I ask, remembering Robin's words - if something seems too good to be true, it probably is...always know all the details before you enter someplace.

"No catch!" he says, and I breath a sigh of relief. "Except the dragon."

"Dragon?!" I say, my right eye twitching.

"Oh, don't be that way! There's always a dragon when it comes to this woman...there will most likely be a dragon at the entrance to the room. You didn't think it would be that easy to get in, did you dearie?" he says, looking at me like I'm crazy.

"As if I'm supposed yo know that!" I yell at him.

He shrugs and something seems to pop into his head. I can practically see the wheels turning in his snake-like eyes.

"How about I make this more worthwhile for you?" he says and every instinct tells me to run - just run and find someone else to help me.

"What's that?" I ask, taking a step back.

"Why are you helping her more, sir? She insulted you." Leftie says and I growl at him when he takes a step toward me.

"Sh!" Rumple snarls at him before turning back to me. "How about I fix your curse? Make you normal again...I can see you've wanted that for quite some time now. Of course, I can't give you your old life back - seeing as I kind of need the place for myself now. Mostly protection and a sense of eeriness for the tourists and all."

I roll my eyes, but his words ring like a bell in the back of my head. I can be normal again? I won't have to hide because I look like a freak? I can help Robin and Marion and Will and Allan and even Little John fight for justice and look like...me?

Is it even possible?

"It's very possible, dearie." Rumple says, as if he's reading my mind.

"How do I know it's not a trap?" I ask.

"Because, adding that is the least I can do for an old friend." he says and I look up to see pain in his eyes.

There's something new in his life that's given him this look. What...or who is it?

"That's not the only reason now is it? There's someone here you've promised to be better for, isn't there? Is it Kaige? You managed to get him back and he's forcing you to behave?" I say, accusation written all over my voice.

He flinches and steps back. "No, I haven't been able to find my boy..."

"Rumple! Rumple where are you?" a soft voice calls from downstairs.

"Who's that?" I ask, listening to the pitter-patter of feet coming up the stairs.

"Please tell me you're not in that room with those horrible men again. You know how much I hate it when you start your schemes..." a voice says in warning.

The door opens and a girl stalks in. She has long, wavy brown hair with gold streaks that runs down her back in cascading waves. Her town dress swishes across the floor as her heels click, making her way towards us.

"Now, Rumple, you know how I hate it when you use this..." she stops, looking over at me. She rushes to the curtain and rips it open to allow light into the room. "It's much too dark and I want to see."

"Now, Belle...this is not what you think it is." Rumple says in a pleading voice.

I glance between the two of them. He seems softer when she's around - less mad even. Like she's the magic cure for him.

"Don't you dare tell me what I'm thinking. You have no right to do that. I'm here because I chose to be, and I can leave when I'm finally fed up with all this. Now, who is she?" Belle says in a voice that clearly says not to play games with her.

I raise a brow in respect. Wow, she's pretty awesome. Reminds me of...well, me - a long time ago. With different hair and style choice. I look down at my pants, pirate shirt, corset and boots. I look like a pirate and she looks like a lady...hmm. Maybe we could be friends - once she gets out of this place...

"Now, Belle love...this is Skylar." he says, walking over and gently touching her arm.

She slowly lifts her eyes to me and seems to finally take in my full appearance. "Well, at least make up with her...she deserves that after what you've done to her." The words are kinder than I expected.

She looks over at me with sad eyes and rushes to me, pulling me into a powerful hug. I cough after a moment to let her know it hurts a little. "Oh, sorry! I'm sorry if I came off as a bit rude...I just hate when he makes these deals all the time. I understand that if you're here, you must be looking for something very important."

I pull back in shock. "I-uh, yeah."

She leans forward and drops her voice to where only I could possibly hear. "Please don't be angry with him forever? I've only been here about seven weeks, but he's changing. I think I can help him. But it's going to take some time. He's lost his ability to feel for other people by using his powers so much...but I think he's slowly remembering what it's like. Besides, I think I'm starting to fall for him."

I lean back and nod, shaking her hand. "It's been nice to meet you."

"Come back in one piece." she says with a wink and I know they hadn't heard her.

______________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I've done it again. I've written several chapters at once and posted them all back to back. I hope you enjoyed this one. How do you feel about Belle? What did you expect about her - was she what you thought she'd be? Did she worry you for a moment? Do you think she can change Rumple into a better man?

Vote and comment - honestly, I like the comments more than the votes most of the time. Thanks to @MrMumnbles for always having something funny to say...at least, I find your comments amusing.

Always yours,

Kera