Chapter 12

When we reach the camp - a lovely compilation of twenty tree houses hidden in a dormant volcano - Robin leads me to his home. As we walk through the mini-village, I take in everything that goes with it. (By the way, if you expected this place to be a rundown little area in the woods with tiny tents you are poorly mistaken.) This place is absolutely beautiful. In a totally made for men kind of way.

I'd say that it looks like something you'd find in a fairy tale, but this is my life...I don't exactly picture all that's happened in that kind of fantasy. A fantasy so perfect that I wish I could travel there...

Anyway, the tiny stream they created flows through the trees like a snake. The place is like a little safe haven in the middle of the unexpected. Honestly, who would have thought this tiny village would be in an old volcano?! It's crazy...

"So...you haven't said much since Little John made that dumb remark about your ears. Honestly, I'm sure you knew about them - you're slightly uncomfortable with them...how long have you had them?" Robin asks and I don't feel like he's making fun of me - that he genuinely wants to know what happened.

"Not long..." I say, sighing. "I made the mistake of getting between some guards and a man with magic...let's just say that the odds were never in my favor with that one."

"You liked him." he says and I look over at him in shock. A smirk creeps up his face, "What? I'm a perceptive person! You just sound like you were close to the guy who had magic...or the guard."

I open my mouth a couple times, but my vocals don't seem to be cooperating. Finally I stutter, "I didn't like him like him. He was just an old friend who suddenly got very powerful...he didn't mean to hurt me. I just got in between them and I paid the price because he used magic for personal gain rather than to make the world a better place. The kind of power he has has many repercussions...many I haven't learned."

My brother nods and opens the door to one of the houses. "This is my place...there's an extra room with a comfy cot in case we find someone who needs refuge. I guess we're lucky I thought to put this in here."

I look over and see him scratching his neck. He looks like a kid when he does that - it's almost cute, in an adorable-little-child way. I smile and nod my thanks.

"Why don't you get some rest and I'll come get you when it's time for dinner?" Robin asks, watching me closely.

"Sure." I say, turning towards the spare room.

"Um...do you want me to hang your cloak? And don't forget to take off your boots before you lie down." he says, reminding me of an awkward father-type figure.

I smile and slowly take off my cloak and boots. He takes my cover and hangs it on a make-shift rack and I put my shoes beside the contraption. I can feel him taking in my appearance, but he doesn't ask any more questions. I silently thank him for not saying anything about how weird I am. I already know I'm a freak...I don't need others to tell me about it.

He heads to the other door and gives me a small wave before disappearing inside. I smile and head to my new room.

"Rise and shine!" I hear someone shout while banging a couple pans hext to my bed.

I groan and squish the pillow over my sensitive ears. "Go away!"

"Nope, can't do that. Robin sent me in to fetch you for super and fetch you I shall." the voice says and I feel the covers fly off me.

I curl my legs into my body and swat at the intruder of such a wonderful dream, hitting nothing - of course. It really was a lovely dream. Robin and I were out picking apples and various other fruits to eat and several animals came up to us and started talking. Robin's eyes had widen in shock when he heard them, but they explained he could only hear them through the link we share by our blood. Then I heard singing - a masculine voice so soft and beautiful, I just had to find who it belonged to. When I found him, a gorgeous man with dark hair and eyes the color of the deep greens in the dark forest, I felt the urge to join him. We sang together and he was just about to kiss me when some oaf came in making all kinds of raucous!

"I said! Rise. And. Shine." the voice says and I'm suddenly flying through the air.

I start kicking and screaming as Little John carries me like a sack of potatoes over his shoulder. He carries me outside as I scream at him to at least let me put on my shoes.

"If I did that, how would I trust you not to just run back to your bed?" he asks with a laugh as he turns around, walks inside, grabs my shoes - almost bashing my head into the wall! - and goes back outside. I sigh and try to whack him in the head, but the angle he's holding me in won't allow me to.

"John...what is that on your shoulder?" I hear an unfamiliar voice say.

"Oh, Djack....it's just Robin's sister. No one too important." he replies.

I punch him in the back and he lets out a little 'harumph' as he sets me on the ground. I land with an 'oomph' on my butt and try to get back up to hit him in the head. He merely reaches out and holds me away by placing his hand on my head. Why are his arms soooo long? Ugh!

I hear laughing as I struggle to hit him from arms' length - his arm's length that is. After a few minutes I finally give up and turn away from him. Since when did I start acting like such a child? This is not how a lady should behave. I laugh at myself, thinking that Mother would be proud to hear me say that.

"Here's the grub!" a younger man with blond hair says, placing a large pot in the middle of a rather large table.

The guy who'd asked about me - Djack? - comes over and puts some food into a bowl. "As always, Mutch, it's delicious." He says, eating a large spoon full of the soup.

"Well, at least someone appreciates my work around here!" the guy, Mutch, says and throws his arms in the air with a huff before walking away to grab more food.

I laugh under my breath as we all sit down to eat.

______________________________________________________________________________

Yes, I know I said i wouldn't have anything coming out for a few days...but I couldn't sleep and I really wanted to introduce some more of the characters to you. Enjoy!

Always yours,

Kera