Chapter 39

"Skye!" I look over to see Prince Donovan running my way. 

I look around me and realize I've walked out from that hidden room, through the mirror and out of the queen's bedchamber. Now I'm almost all the way to the grand ballroom. The place looks horrible, like a herd of rhinos stampeded their way through here. 

"Skye! Where's Archer? He's okay, isn't he?" Snow asks, coming up and grabbing my shoulders. 

I nod slowly - he's perfectly fine...I don't know about me though.  

"Well, where is he?" Grumpy asks impatiently.  

"Queen's room, mirror, stairs...just keep going." I say, not really able to focus on anything. 

"Well, help him." Doc says and all the dwarfs follow him to where I left the unconscious Archer. 

"What happened, honey?" Snow asks, gently holding my hand between hers. 

I look into her eyes and see her confusion. I can tell they've won their battle. I want to feel happy for them - but I feel like I've lost mine. The one thing I was willing to die for...and he doesn't even remember my name. 

A tear escapes and Snow pulls me into her warm embrace. "Hon, you need to tell us what happened. We can't help if we don't know." 

"H-he doesn't remember." I say as more tears flow freely down my face. "I returned his heart and he doesn't even remember my name, Snow." 

"Oh, that's horrible sweetie!" she says, pulling me back into her arms.  

I take a little comfort in the contact. "I'd stay, but I can't face him right now. Besides, I still have to fulfill my end of the bargain." 

She nods and gives me another quick hug. I smile gratefully at her and look over at Prince Donovan. He looks just as sad as Snow does about this. He opens his arms and I walk over to him gratefully.  

"We'll take care of him." he promises. 

When we let each other go, I give them another grateful smile. It's sad, but grateful nonetheless. I give one last bow before turning and heading outside. When the cool air brushes softly against my skin I take a moment to breath in the fresh air. Something cool and wet nudges my face. I open my eyes and find Beauty staring right at me in concern. I let out another tear and gently pet her nose.  

"Hey there, girl." I say before mounting myself into her saddle and securing the bag on my back that holds the mirror.  

"Are you okay, Skylar?" she asks and I shake my head. 

"No...but I will be." I say and we take off through the woods. She already knows where we're headed. 

"Ah, so I see you've returned. Where is lover boy, then?" Rumple asks excitedly. 

"He's safe, where you can't hurt him." I say clenching my teeth. 

"Ooh, hostile aren't we? That's no way to treat a friend, dearie." he says, making a few 'tsk'ing noises. "Well, guess you don't need my help with him...after all, you did a fine job yourself at returning his heart. On your own no less. Tell me...how did that work out for you." 

I let out a few tears when I realize what he's saying. "You knew? You knew I'd put it back myself and he'd forget everything and you didn't warn me? What kind of monster are you?" 

"Ah, uh, uh! I knew you'd be able to figure out how it works. Of course, you couldn't bother to wait around to see the heart catch up to the mind. There's no need to blame the poor fellow for being a bit slow. It's your fault for jumping to hasty conclusions." he says, cryptic as ever. 

"So...I had to wait?" I ask slowly. "Wait for what?" 

"For his memory to rework itself. It takes a bit, but he will soon remember it all. You know, as long as he's able to see you that is." he says. "You see, the brain works in mysterious ways love. Almost as amazing as the heart, that one is. Anyway, he has to wake up and see you to remember everything. And, without you there, he won't know who you are." 

I watch him in disbelief as he shrugs nonchalantly. "He'll remember?" 

"You are slower than you used to be, dearie. Of course he'll remember...you just have to remind him." he says with a smile and I see a hint of the old Rumple. 

"You're different." I say, taking a deep breath. 

"You can thank Belle for that...she's done a lot for me." he says, taking a step closer to me. 

I notice that his skin's more human-like than before. Like he's becoming himself again. "She makes me want to be a better person, dearie. Someone who deserves a friend like you. Do you have my mirror?" 

I nod and take the bag off my back. "It's here."  

I turn to leave and he makes some weird noises behind me. I turn to see what's wrong. When I don't see anything important, I turn to leave again. 

"Wait! What about that promise I made?" he asks. 

"There's no need." I say with a smile. "Without my tail and ears, I would never have become the person I am inside. They are to forever be a reminder that magic has a bad side and always has a price. Besides, they've grown on me a bit - no pun intended." 

"Ah, you've grown into the woman I always knew you'd be." he says, surprising me by pulling me into a hug. "Oh, and I forgot to tell you on your last visit. I found your mother...she's currently living in the one and only Sherwood forest. Apparently, you've got family out there - family you've already found." 

I pull back and look at him, amazed. "She's alive?" 

He nods with a proud grin on his face. "Of course she is, dearie! I just had to steal her back from a very nasty Queen. Also, there's another surprise waiting there for you." 

"What's that?" I ask. 

"I can't say...spoilers." he says, shaking his head. 

I smile and we share another hug. I have a bit of hope that one day we'll be able to be friends again. 

______________________________________________________________________________

So, what do you think? Has Rumple started to redeem himself or do you hate him? Will Skye be able to help Archer remember it all? What do you think will hapen next? Where will she go?

Vote and comment.

Always yours,

Kera