Chapter 9

It takes me a few moments to accept what's happened. I have the tail, ears, and sight of a fox. Even the bottom of my feet are slightly thicker and padded. I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment and start to back away...

"What did you do?" I ask, knowing they'll both understand what I mean.

"It was part of the main deal...if I got the powers, I had to swear upon the one thing that will keep me me. I swore to the one - the one who gave me the location of the Source - that I would not use my new gifts for personal gain...that it would be only to aid my boy." Rumple says and I hear the pain in his voice.

"But...why? Why did this happen to me?" I ask.

"The man said there would be repercussions for misusing my abilities in a certain way...that I'd have to be willing to pay the price." he says, "But, I swear, if I had known you would get hurt by this...I would never have agreed to his terms."

I slowly open my eyes and hear feet quickly roaming in our direction. The villagers by their scent...a woodsy mixture of pine and see grass. I clutch my head at the strain of my new senses. The noise and smells are starting to be a little too much at this moment.

Shouting and crying reach my ears next and I start to rub my temples. I shake my head vigorously as the people break through the treeline and onto Rumple's property. When they see me, they stop dead in their tracks.

"Monster!" someone shouts as something flies toward my head.

I duck just in time for it to sail right over my ear with a little 'whizzing' noise. Suddenly, other things start flying at my head. I use my hands to block the random objects - everything from walking sticks to fruits to rocks. Someone gets lucky as something sharp cuts through my arm. I let out a yelp of pain and clutch at the bleeding wound. As more things start to fly at me and cut me up, the villagers converge on us and start dragging us into the square.

I'm vaguely aware of being tied up to a large pole in the middle of our village as all the sounds start to make my head spin. I'm dizzy from all that's going on and my body intensifies everything around me. As I look around in a daze, a fire slowly roars to life and everyone looks like they're moving in slow motion. I shut my eyes tight and try to block it all out.

It's not working.

Frustrated, I open my eyes and take a deep breath. The world around me starts taking on a red haze as my eyes search for a way out of this. That's when I notice the fire's all around me...they're trying to burn me alive!

I look at the fire, trying to focus on it. The way the mixture of reds, yellows, oranges, and blues dance in front of me. The way it crackles and pops each time one of the flames lick at the air.

Slowly, my world seems to become only me and the fire. I hear my panting breaths and try to slow them down - bring them to a normal pace. Once they become even, I let the crackling of the fire become the only thing I hear as I try to find a way out of here. A bright blue light starts to form a line through the fire, around the villagers, and into the forest.

I feel the nails on my fingers start to slowly grow and I realize I can cut the rope with them. I make quick work of my binds and follow the blue light away from the crowd.

I barely hear Rumple and Margaret calling after me and fighting the villagers to help. I just keep running. It surprises me that I'm not at all winded by this. I feel like I can run forever - never stopping, except for food and water.

When the blue light stops, I find I'm standing in front of my old home. I look around before running quickly inside and up to my room. I find the bag I once used to bring my people their medicine and run to my closet. I grab a pair of boots and rip the dark black corset from my green dress. Then grab a pair of leather riding pants from the high shelf. Then I run to my parents' room and take a few of my father's old loose-sleeved, white pirate shirts.

I hurriedly change into the new clothes and make sure I have a few spares in case anything gets ruined. I take a last second chance to stand in front of my mirror - taking all the new things in. I let it sink in that this is my life now...I'm going to be a refugee for what's left of my existence.

What am I going to do with myself?

When I hear people rushing toward the house - shouting bloody-murder the whole way...I turn and rush through the house. I go out the back door and to the barn. I notice the stable boy has my horse saddled up and he's smiling at me. I see there's something large folded over his arm.

"I'm sorry for what's happened to you - all of it..." he glances behind me. "Take these, it's a cloak to hide your face and some extra food from the kitchen."

I take the food from him and stuff it into my bag before cramming that into my saddle bag. He helps me put the cloak on and I climb up onto my horse. She has a beautiful chestnut body and a dark black mane. I stroke her hair as she rears back.

We rush out the doors and I see that blue light start to form another path for me as the sound of the angry crowd creep closer to us.

"Hide! Don't let them find you," I tell the boy.

He nods and disappears as my horse gallops away from my home. She seems to know exactly what's at stake right now. I smile and keep her on the path. Then I notice that I don't have to.

"Don't worry, Skylar, I'll take care of you as far as I can." I hear a voice in my head. I gasp and my horse starts to whinny a laugh.

"Was that you?" I ask her.

"Yes! But I am not sure how long you can hear me...but right now, we are connected. I can see through you eyes. I know the way to go." she answers and we ride through the night.

______________________________________________________________________________

Yep, two chapters in less than 24 hours! I feel pretty accomplished right now...of course, this might be the last chapter for a day or so. i have a crazy schedule for the next couple days and don't know when I'll get a free moment to write until at least Wednesday or Thursday.

Anyway, what did you think?

PS, I looooooovvvve feedback! So don't be afraid to speak or whatever.

Always yours,

Kera