One Last Mission

Luke's pov

The girls went to bed. Jack asleep in Jason's arms. "I... Uh... I heard what Caroline said." I glance at him confused. "What do you mean?" "She..... She was afraid of me. That's why I left. I was a crazy violent monster." "No you weren't you saved us! If you weren't here when that maniac showed up, we'd all be dead." I gasp, shakily. "Where's Terrence?" He asks. "Asleep in the basement." I say, pointing. He glares at his shoes. "Luke, don't let me hurt no one. I'm so scared I'm gonna hurt you.... Or Miranda..... I don't know what I'll do if-" "Don't worry Jason. It'll be okay."

*the next day*

I hate to have to tell him this about his son. The doctor confirmed it when he was born. He was drinking a cup of coffee, the girls still asleep. "Hey Jay, we gotta talk." "What's up?" "Jack's got severe autism. They diagnosed him when he was born." "How severe?" He asks, raising and eyebrow. "Like he's probably gonna be in his own little world when he gets older. The doctor said it was pretty severe." He looks at the table wide eyed. "He'll never know who I even am, will he?" I bite my lip. Miranda asked the doctor the same question.

~flashback~

"Will he know who I am?" She gasps, crying. I hug Caroline who was also crying. "I'm afraid not. I'm sorry." She hugs the infant to her chest, crying hard. "Oh Jason where are you?"

~flashback over~

Jason was shaking my shoulders. "Dude, you just had a flashback. My God you have PTSD just like me!" I stare at him shocked. "You're kidding!! How?!" "The world. The marshal law. The enemies we've faced. I can't believe this has happened! What'd you see?" I don't want to tell him. I stare at the table. "I.... I.... Don't wanna talk about it." I mumble, avoiding eye contact.

Jason's pov

The colonel opens the door. I stand up worried. "Ready?" He asks. "What are we gonna do?" I ask. "We found them. We're gonna do an all out airial strike on them." I glance back at Luke. He's got PTSD like me now. "Whatever it takes to get this over with faster." I salute the colonel and he waits outside. I grab my rifle. "Luke take care of the girls and Jack. I'll be back as soon as I can." "Make it back brother." He says, standing up. I nod. "It'll all be okay soon Luke. We'll be back to touring and playing music for the populace." I start to walk out but he says, "Jason wait," I turn back around. "What?" "Are you.... Am I..... The PTSD....." "I can't talk about it now Luke. When I get back, I'll explain everything." Poor guy. He's terrified. "Ya gotta be strong man." He nods and waves. "See ya soon?" I smile and nod.

Luke's pov

I go upstairs and collapse exhaustedly beside Caroline. I see tear stains on her cheeks. She's really worried. "Everything will be okay Caroline." I say, patting her head. "Jason'll fix everything." "Luke?" She sits up and rubs her eye. It's her fault Jason left months ago. "I'm sorry Luke." She whimpers, crying. "I never.... I didn't want him.... To hear that stuff I said." I hug her. "It's alright. But when Jason gets back you need to tell him you're not afraid of him. He thought he was a monster."

Miranda's pov

I hold Jack tightly listening to this. "I hope he forgives me." She says. I look down at my little baby boy. I hate that he's autistic. I wish I could fix this.

*the next day*

Luke tells me what I already know. I hold my locket tightly in my fist. I miss him so much already.

Luke's pov

I work on breakfast while Caroline drank coffee and Miranda took care of Jack. Poor Jason he's already been through hell and now he finds out his son is autistic and there's nothing anyone can do. Suddenly the door is shoved open. I yank my gun up quickly but it's just Jason. His hair was smoking. "America is free again." He says, collapsing. Crap! I run over there and help him to the couch. "Is he.... Sleeping?" Caroline gapes. I force a smile and nod. "He must be exhausted."

Jason's pov

*in his dream* (flashback)

I was manning the chopper while a few other guys shot machine guns and dropped bombs. The wind was fierce. "Guys they're hitting the engine! Hurry up!" I shout. Too late. "WE'RE GOING DOWN!!!!!"

Caroline's pov

Luke was working on breakfast and Miranda had Jack upstairs. Jason's hand tensed up. I'm worried. I sit beside him. "Jason... You okay?" He grits his teeth. I shake him awake. "C-C-Caroline." "Yeah. You looked like you were having a nightmare." "I.... A flashback." He mumbles. "You okay?" He sighs. "I'm sorry I scared you, Carol. I just... I was so scared one of those guys would hirt my family." "You don't have to be sorry. If anything I should be sorry. You left because of me." "No I left because I was dangerous." "You're not dangerous." I say. I smile. "You called me Carol." He smiles. That was his nickname for me in high school. I lay back against the couch beside him. "It's pretty funny." I say, smiling. "What?" He asks. "I never expected to ever see you again, Jason. But then I fall for your best friend. It's pretty ironic that you try to hunt me down." He laughs. "Luke's more than a friend. He's my brother. I'd do anything for that guy."

Luke's pov

I smile, listening to them. I'm glad they're not enemies.

Jason's pov

"I guess it is pretty funny that years later, you'd be the one I run into." I smile. "Ya know you drove me crazy in high school." I joke. She laughs. "Oh really?" "Yeah." I say, also laughing. "You used to piss me off so bad." We both laugh. It feels good to laugh again. "What's so funny out here?" I smile, seeing my wife holding our son. I don't care if he's autistic. He's still my son. She hands him to me. "Everything is okay now right Jason?" Caroline asks. I nod. "Everything is fine. We sent those fuckers packing." I say, smiling. Then the smile fades when I remember. Luke. He had a flashback earlier before I left. Luke's got PTSD.

Luke's pov

"There's something I gotta tell you girls." Huh? "What is it Jason?" I hear Caroline ask. "Luke's got PTSD." Uh oh. I sit down at the island. I drown out their voices.

Jason's pov

Uh oh. I hand Jack to Miranda and walk in the kitchen. "Luke, you okay buddy? Why ya cryin'?" "I'm messed up." I sigh and sit beside him. "Boy I've been PTSD'd for a while now and I'm still kickin'." He glares at his hands. "The last few weeks have been nuts." "You did great, Luke. Without you the girls woulda been on their own." "Life is gonna return to normal right?" He asks. I smile glad to be able to tell him. "Yep. Life is gonna return to normal."