Success Is Key

"Smile!"

Namjoon was suddenly blinded by the bright flash of a camera. He was holding up yet another award as his mother snapped a picture. His eyes wondered over to his father, who was sulking in a corner.

"Can we leave, now?" Namjoon asked, trying not to sound whiny.

"Sure, you're probably tired aren't you?" Namjoon nodded. The family headed to their car and backed out of the parking lot, pulling onto the main road.

"M-Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"... What if... Um..."

"Spit it out, son," his father interrupted.

Namjoon scowled at the sound of the man's voice.

"What would you do if I got a bad grade?"

The smile on his mothers face turned to a frown so quick that Namjoon had to do a double take.

"Why?! Did you get a bad grade?! If you did-"

"I didn't, calm down. But what if I did?"

"W-Well then... There goes your future! Your success! There goes your life, basically!" His mom sputtered.

"So if I get a bad grade I should just kill myself?"

"Yes-"

"No!" His mom interrupted before his father could fully answer. Namjoon rolled his eyes and glared at the back of the man's head.

"You shouldn't kill yourself, but you should feel ashamed and do everything you can to fix it," his mother said as their car stopped at a stoplight.

"Okay, just wondering," Namjoon said as he gazed out the window. It was dark outside, he couldn't see anything except for the sidewalks that were illuminated by the street lamps.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because you guys seem really... Paranoid about my grades-"

"It's just how we are. We want you to be successful. End of story," his mother snapped. Namjoon raised his hands in surrender. "Sorry I asked," he muttered under his breath.

The rest of the ride home, Namjoon stayed silent, gazing out the window. Though it was difficult to see, he could've sworn he saw a familiar boy walking down the sidewalk with a gun in his hand.