Epilogue

Eric

I stood next to Four as we lift the black wood coffin onto our shoulders, a emotionless mask on my face, inside grief was tearing me apart.

We walked down the stone aisle towards the fire pit, hundreds of Dauntless came to pay their respects, even though only about twenty people here actually knew Sasha, we lowered her down onto the stone slab and took our rightful places.

Mine was at the front, next to Four and Sasha's closest friends.

Max stood and said some bullshit about Sasha being braver than us to explore the unknown, I knew she was brave. He looked at me to see if I wanted to come up and say a few words, I shook my head so slight it was almost illegible, knowing that if I went up I would loose it.

I preferred to battle with my grief in private, or dull it with some strong alcohol until I can barely remember my own name.

So instead he called up Four who said that it wasn't time for his sister to leave, that she was happy and had her whole life in front of her. I agreed with that more. I remember that he was the one to tell me that Sasha had died.

Flashback

A loud banging startled me awake, I groaned and pulled myself of the bed, Sasha had probably forgotten her keys again. I wrenched open the door and saw Four standing soaked to the skin, his eyes glossy.

"It's Sasha." He panted.

I felt my legs become weak and I held my arm against the doorframe to steady myself.

"What about Sasha?" I asked, worry evident in my voice.

I saw Four's lip tremble and I felt my legs give way.

"No," I muttered as I slid to the floor.

Four nodded "Eric, Sasha died." He whispered, "she tripped and fell out of the train cart onto the pavement, I dived for her but I couldn't get to her in time."

I felt tears rush down my face, replacing the ones that a furiously scrubbed away. I cradled my head in my hands, driving the balls of my palms into my eyes.

"No, no, no, no." I muttered over and over again whilst shaking my head. "No, no, no, no!" I yelled "she can't be, I saw her less than two hours ago, she can't be." I cried.

"She told me to tell you she loved you- she didn't want to leave you." He said softly before walking down the corridor to his room, while I sat on the threshold of our apartment, sobbing.

I looked away as Sasha's coffin was pushed into the flames, becoming ashes, I walked out, I couldn't watch.

I walked back to my own apartment, they gave it back to me a couple days after Sasha died, I couldn't stay in somewhere that was supposed to be ours.

Inside was a mess, bottles of various types of alcohol lay strewn on the floor and take-away boxes sat in piles on the coffee table.

Groaning, I made a mental note to tidy up tomorrow, which probably won't happen, my body goes in one continuous cycle- sleep, workout, drink- I grabbed two bottles of whisky from the cupboard and make my way to the net roof.

I tipped the burning liquid down my throat and felt the dark joy as it numbed my emotions.

"Not joining in the celebrations?" Tobias asked, a bitter edge in his voice.

"Why should I celebrate the fact that the person I love is dead?" I asked, staring down at the quarter filled bottle, my voice a little slurred.

"She wouldn't want you to drink this much," he muttered.

I hopped up, my normally crisp movements now sluggish with drink.

That's the thing!" I laughed sarcastically "she's not here, is she!" I said, undertaking a stumbling 360 degrees turn "she is gone, and I'm never going to see her again!" I cried, all my bottled up feelings spewing into my words "I'm never going to see her again." I sobbed, falling onto my knees.

Hi everyone, this is officially the last chapter of the book :( I wanted to give you an idea of what happened to Eric afterwards and what they said happened to Sasha. This song sums up the chapter so well (Passenger, Let Her Go) Its really cool to listen to it while reading.

I want to say thank you to

dauntpuffabi and RxsieP For all their support

Edited

𝙸𝚗𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚎 | Divergentजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें