Chapter 11

Eric's POV

"No!"

I heard a high-pitched scream from behind me, a chilling scream, one full of fear and desperation.

"Sasha." Four whispered, eyes fixed on something higher than us. I spun around to see a small figure plummet from the tower. The tower itself was a good six stories above the main building enclosed by a low stone railing which had been broken down over the years, it didn't save her as she plummeted towards the ground.

Without thinking, I launched towards her, pushing the frozen initiates out the way. "move!" I ordered as I ran, the sound of a voice snapped some kind of spell that was hanging over them, and they stumbled back without a word.

Sasha's body collided with smooth dome the roof, the sound that followed made me shudder, her hands scrabbled for a purchase on the tiles, they were too worn by the elements to provide much grip, and I knew it would only buy her precious seconds.

I resorted to pushing people out the way, the world seemed to speed up around me no matter how desperately I tried to stop it.

The brunette dropped, I threw myself forward.

Her weight in my arms was enough to off-balance me, I stumbled, curling my body around her's as we hit the ground.

"Sasha?" I checked her over, finding a pulse underneath my fingertips, it was thready and weak, but thankfully still there "Sasha, can you look at me?"

Nothing.

I looked back, Four was staring with a look of abject horror on his face, for a moment I thought there were tears in his eyes.

There was a pained groan from behind me. I decided that it wasn't worth questioning now. "Four take the initiates back and get the medics."

The woman tried to move, but I rested my hand on her shoulder, which was apparently enough to sooth her.

"Hurts." She whispered and she clung to the last shreds of lucidity. "Dizzy."

Carefully, I shifted her onto her side, where she promptly vomited bile onto the wooden boards. Sasha seemed to settle afterwards, muttering about burning and then becoming quiet.

"Tell me something?" I asked.

It took a moment to receive a reply. "Why?"

"I don't want you falling into asleep."

The risk of her sleeping meant that she may not wake up.

"Well, maybe I want to go to sleep."

Always so stubborn. That's what I liked about her

"Hmmm."

"Do you want me to tell you a story?"

I ended up rambling on about my first tattoo just to keep her awake, though I wasn't even sure she was conscious, I kept my fingers pressed against her wrist, feeling her slow, steady pulse.

"Eric are you with Sasha?" I heard a man call out, I leant up straight "yeah," I called back, moments later a group of doctors came round the corner.

They began to hook her up to IV lines and oxygen with pain relief "right we've gotta move patient, rise gently, possible spinal damage remember." The paramedic ordered, they quickly lifted her onto the gurney and carried her towards the train tracks.

"Eric." Sasha murmured through the oxygen mask.

"Yes?" I looked down, she was swaddled in blankets and the side of her face soaked with drying blood.