Chapter 7

The compound was quiet as I followed the meandering hallways, I briefly considered finding my brother's apartment, but I figured he might be in bed. There were a couple of nightclubs and plenty of bars in The Pit but it wasn't the atmosphere I was looking for.

Suddenly, I caught the faint sound of crashing water in the distance that signalled the Chasm was nearby, and that I had made my way almost full circle through the tunnels in the couple of hours since leaving the dorm.

The Chasm was well lit compared to the tunnels and my eyes took a moment to adjust, I made my way to the middle and sat, letting my legs dangle from the bridge as I closed my eyes and rested my head against the cool metal railing. I felt the damp spray of the tumbling water chill my ankles, although it wasn't strictly unpleasant, it did make me regret walking around in shorts and the oversized tee shirt that was given to us on our first day.

Over the sound of the Chasm I couldn't hear my thoughts. I had felt lonely in Dauntless, but this was truly the first time I felt alone. It was nice.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Startled, I was forced to grab the railing before I slipped under. For a moment, I forgot the cause of my panic, then I had to cran my head back to find the owner of the voice, Eric was glaring down at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Walk of shame, is it?" I questioned innocently.

Eric ignored me, grabbing my arm and hauling me to my feet.

"It's four in the morning, initiate." Seven days ago I had been Sasha, the change was as unexpected as him using my name in the first place. "I don't have much patience, so save me a little time, what are you doing out here?"

"Taking some time to think."

"About what?"

"I couldn't sleep, so I was clearing my head."

Eric sighed and led me off the bridge.

"Couldn't do that somewhere else?"

I remained quiet, it took me a moment to realise he was heading back to the dorms.

We paused by the doors, there was no sound inside, everyone was still asleep.

"Stay off the bridge, Initiate." Eric dropped my arm "find somewhere else to think."

.:.

"This is the second out of your three fights." The pairing had been torturing me, unlike the first fight where we didn't know who we were fighting, we found out our opponent five days ago and I hadn't been able to relax since. "Like before, ten points are awarded to each victor, no points are given if you lose."

Maddie V. Kyle
Nick V. Jake
Sasha V. Mason
Owen V. Ruby
Lucia V. Poppy

Maddie didn't speak, she bounced on the balls of her feet and fidgeted, I couldn't tell whether it was due to nervousness or eagerness. I had yet to see her fight but I could see the lean muscles under her tanned skin, she had mentioned she had worked during the harvests from a young age, she was stronger than she looked.

Jake eyed the board wearily, Nick was an ass but he was good in the ring, fast and cunning, Kyle had to stay the night in the infirmary after fighting him.

"Fights will begin after lunch." Tobias gestured for us to leave, the sea of black clad initiates begin to file out.

Maddie paused when she realised I was not behind her. "Sasha, are you coming?"