Chapter 17

I joined Maddie to go dress shopping, admittedly shopping was an activity I didn't hold much joy for, but I had nothing to wear to our ceremony this evening, and I wanted to actually spend some time with my closest friend, who was constantly in an upbeat mood, I knew we had tonnes to catch up on.

We walked through the racks of clothing, nothing caught my eye as I browsed the pretty slips of fabric, the Dauntless style seemed tight fitting and completely out of my comfort zone.

Maddie picked out a handful of dresses before going to try them on, stepping out of the changing cubicle to twirl and model each dress for me to judge; though I had little to no idea about dresses.

"Well?' She asked expectantly.

I bit my lip before choosing the one that stood out the most to me. "I think the second dress you tried on was the best, the black one that shimmered." I offered.

Grinning, and nodding at me proudly for picking the right one, she shoved the rest of their dresses onto their respective hanger "I think that one was the best too."

It took her a fraction of the time to decide on a pair of black platforms to go with the dress.

Though, I still couldn't decide on a outfit.

"Don't worry, Sasha, I think I spotted something that you will love." Maddie explained, pulling me over to the corner of the shop that I didn't even know that was there, causing me to be slightly amazed at how Maddie found it.

"This is it." Maddie came to the rescue when she showed me a black spaghetti strap jumpsuit, it reached my mid thigh- like the dresses, and had cold shoulders and a v neckline, but most importantly it had pockets.

Quickly, I grabbed the jumpsuit in my size and changed- also putting on the black wedges that Maddie paired with it.

I cautiously walked out, the jumpsuit was a little shorter than I would normally choose but it fitted perfectly.

"Sasha, you look stunning." Maddie said, smiling at her handiwork.

"Do you think?" I asked, tugging at the hem of the shorts.

"Yes, you better get that for tonight, and then you're coming back with me so I can do your make up." Maddie ordered, smiling to herself.

I'd never really seen make up, mainly because we'd never been allowed to own any in Abnegation, but I'd seen the pretty girls in Amity in the lower school bathroom applying it, or the Dauntless man who I sat next to in Faction History using the reflection in the window to outline his eyes with something dark.

Once I changed and paid for the clothes and shoes, Maddie dragged me back to the Initiates dorm room and sat me on her bed, I winced at how hard the mattresses were. I had forgotten how uncomfortable the dorm beds were, usually after first stage I was so tired and sore I could've slept on the ground.

"So, how do you think it went?" Maddie asked as she pulled a makeup bag from her bedside table.

"It wasn't what I would call pleasant but it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before." I felt the tip of the liquid liner against my eyelid "you done well."

"I don't think someone who has fourteen fears has much of a shot but thanks for the vote of confidence."

"Don't say that, your time was good, I refuse to let you go anywhere."

I heard Maddie giggle as she moved onto the other eyelid "well I suppose you can sneak me in your duffle or something."

"Why are you so sure that I'm in." I countered "maybe I'll have to sneak in in your duffle bag."