Chapter 2

I awoke to a symphony of banging downstairs and one sentence in my head.

I must escape.

My father was remorseful.

I had long stopped believing that that would prevent his abuse from occurring again.

Quickly, I made my way to the bathroom and locked the door.

My thoughts overwhelmed me and I wished I could scream at him, force him to see what he was and what he made me. Instead, I stepped under the spray and listened to the mantra inside my head.

I must escape.

I changed into a dark grey long sleeved top and a some of Tobias's old grey trousers which were hidden under a long skirt, I rolled up the ankles and tightened them around my waist with one of my fathers belts. I cringed at the feeling of the leather on my fingertips, I knew what it had been used for and it threatened to pull bile from my stomach. My boots were the only thing not grey, they were black leather, well worn and moulded to my feet from years of use.

Marcus was already at the table in our kitchen, running a critical eye over the newspaper that was produced for all the factions, he refused to look up as I entered, and remained frowning at the print. Erudite spearheaded the publishing and had recently begun attacking Abnegation, much to my father's annoyance.

Although I didn't enjoy this life, I hated to see the people who were selfless and kind enough to give back to the community attacked by those who seeked more power in the government.

My father snapped the large broadsheet closed and gestured to the plate opposite him, pancakes with a rare side of syrup.

Syrup was an Abnegation treat. 

Without a word I sat down across from Marcus and tried to ignore the two vacant seats either side of me. I tried my best to disguise my flinch when he clasped his hands to say grace.

I must escape.

"I remember your favourite," Marcus smiled as I picked up the syrup.

"Pancakes and syrup was Tobias's favorite, I'm more of a waffle person." I replied, I could take this small moment of bravery, the knowledge that I could be free was far stronger than my fear.

I saw the muscles in his jaw tic.

Good.

Breakfast continued in silence, I washed the cutlery and placed them on the drainer whilst Marcus collected his jacket. I pressed my hands against the countertop and stared at the grey walls, regarding the house that hadn't felt like a home for a very long time. I would never come back.

I must escape.

My father and I walked the same cracked path towards the Hub, a long black building that speared the sky with its two thin spokes. I kept my face emotionless as another member of Abnegation spoke with Marcus on the journey, I said I tripped and fell when he asked about the cuts on my face.

"Clumsy girl." The man smiled.

I smiled back, it was clumsy for my father to mark my face the night before my Choosing Ceremony. Marcus looked uncomfortable and made his excuses to hurry us further up the line of Abnegation.