Chapter 19

A coffee in hand, I debated whether it was worth going back to bed for the rest of the day, however, I apparently had responsibilities as a member of Dauntless. I took a sip and turned away from the large windows, summer was finally upon us and the sun rose as early as I did, spilling natural light into the living area.

I didn't realise how much I would love having my own place, with its bare brick walls, and large windows. I felt content in Eric's place but it wasn't mine.

The apartment had a lot of quirky objects, like it's bright red fridge and metal stools in the kitchen and large couch that sat before the coffee table made up of boxes with a glass top, and the huge TV which held all the movies recovered from before the war. I didn't spot one in Maddie's room but Eric had one and so did my brother, though Tobias didn't seem to use it, so I assume that there for the higher passing Initiates.

I finished the last of my coffee and trekked up the spiral staircase to a raised platform held up by galvanised metal tubes with thick oak planks which made up the floor, the roof above was punctuated by skylights, they were a little grimy but I was able to watch the stars pass overhead if a night was particularly sleepless.

I guess coming first in Initiation had it's perks.

The front door unlocked and I peeked over the edge of the platform to see Eric in a black vest and shorts, who had obviously been on a run.

"Afternoon," he greeted sarcastically, "just wanted to see if you raised yourself from the dead before I go back for some more meetings."

I rolled my eyes. "It's ten."

Humming, Eric handed me a cardboard box. "A bad night?"

"It was fine."

I had been spending more time in my own apartment, getting used to the feeling of living completely alone in my new faction, Tobias had been pulling extra night shifts and Maddie along with everyone else had started her training earlier than I had, leaving me to my own thoughts more than usual. I had spent the evening watching movies with Jake when he was available, but it hadn't nearly been enough to deter any virulent thoughts that sounded unnervingly like the poison from my father's mouth.

Eric wrapped his arms round me. "Stay," he asked while softly kissing the back of my neck, I broke out of his arms and turned to face him.

"I've got work today, I can't be late." I replied giving him another kiss and taking my breakfast with me before Eric could secure a hold on me again, and possibly get me to stay.

"Meanie." Eric called as I opened the door.

"Man-child!" I retorted and closed the door.

.:.

Tobias looked drained as I spotted him slowly making his way down the rickety stairs to his own apartment, knuckles white as he gripped the thin metal rod anchored to the wall which acted as a railing.

"Hey." I called, drawing his attention from the movement of his feet.

"Hey, Sasha." He smiled sleepily "where are you off to?"

"First day at the parlour, Tori is mentoring me." I nodded in the direction of his apartment "go to bed and I'll find you later."