Chapter 6

We ate in silence, not even Maddie had made an attempt to lighten the mood, I was content in pushing my scrambled eggs around my plate with a scowl and Jake was staring into his coffee.

It was the first time I hadn't seen him eat anything; he must be nervous.

I spotted my brother across the hall, he was sitting between a woman with bangs and a man with a bright smile, I watched him laugh and shake his head before standing up. The large clock on the wall in the dining hall read seven forty-nine.

The knot in my stomach pulled tighter.

.:.

"Initiates, this is the last chance you'll have before your first fight to train, I suggest you pay attention to any advice you are given." Tobias instructed, I walked over to the faded punching bag which was held in place by chains. Tobias had demonstrated the basics to me and I grasped the movements easily but I felt awkward no matter how often I practiced.

My brother stood beside me and his eyes analytical as he watched me train.

"You're doing well, but with the level of muscle mass you have it would be better if you used your legs and elbows, and if you punch move with it to put as much power and momentum into it." Tobias helped, I took his instructions and started to work with more movement. It went well, I presumed, from Tobias' smile.

I worked until I felt the sweat build on my hairline, then take a moment to shake out my hands and push my damp fringe from my face. My fingers burn from how hard I've clenched them, stretching sends waves of relief through them. I noticed that Tobias and Eric were speaking quietly, my brother shook his head, expression uneasy. Whatever my brother was saying, Eric seemed to disregard it, calling for our lunch break.

An air of anxiousness hung around the table, you would have to be plain stupid not to be afraid, your future in the faction was on the line.

I glanced up at the clock. ten past one.

.:.

"As you would've noticed there is an odd number of transfers this year, therefore one of you will not be fighting today." Eric explained, he had positioned himself in front of the board so no one could see the pairs. "Each win is worth ten points, no points are awarded for losing."

Jake V. Hayden
Lucia V. Owen
Nick V. Kyle
Sasha V. Poppy
Ruby V. Mason

"As you can see Maddie will not be fighting today, there are still three weeks remaining in this stage of initiation so don't be alarmed if you don't see your name, be thankful."

Jake's fight was first, he had been paired against Hayden who'd previously came from Erudite, Jake was taller than him, whereas Hayden was smaller and stocky. I had faith in Jake's abilities but apparently Hayden had been studying hand-to-hand combat for years with his little brother, if it came down to it I wasn't sure that Jake could be as vicious as him.

"First fighters in the ring." Tobias ordered, the mats had been pushed aside to make way for a raised ring, Maddie squeezed his hand as I offered a reassuring smile.

Both men removed their boots and stepped towards the centre of the ring, moving their fists up to protect their face.

"How long do we fight for?" Hayden asked, his voice was softer than I was expecting, he looked expectantly between the two men. "Is there a scoring system?"

"You fight until one of you can't continue." Eric stated.

"Or one of you concedes," Tobias added.

"Says the old rules, new rules- no one concedes."