Once

" Kings ain't got enough tit to put they back in it, so get your ribs right.
I thank God I was made for you.
Only the strongest survive ."
                                        ~Queen by B.Yung

In the end, I woke. The VIP section of the hospital reassured that there was no annoyingly bright light and sterile surroundings once I woke. I was slightly uncomfortable but I was alive. I moved my head around looking for the remote to buzz the nurse in. When I found it I pressed it twice. A nurse came bustling in quickly, like she was waiting for my call to come at any moment. 

"Princess! You've awakened!" She said excitedly.

She was young looking her big half-moon eyes shone brightly. I could only offer an uneasy smile back.

"How are you feeling? Are you hungry? I suppose you are the young one  must be bothering you to eat. Do you have a craving for anything?"

Amala and ewedu soup or some pounded yam would be nice right now.

"Yukaejang." I croaked out. 

The nurse rushed to my side and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge she poured some into a cup grabbed a straw and helped me drink.

"Yukaejang is a great choice Princess. I'm sure the young prince will enjoy it."

I looked up at her. Young prince?

"My baby?"I questioned, even though I knew the answer. She was confusing me.

"Oh of course the young Prince is fine."

A boy. A flash image of the beautiful little boy from my dream  came to me. I smiled before letting it falter as I watched the Nurse, who I learned was named  Mi-Rae Kang, organize the large room and help me get more adjusted.

"My husband?"

She stilled for only a second before she continued working "I'm afraid he has not woken up yet. we hope he will do so soon."

I don't. But why would he be unconscious anyway?

"What happened?"

"You were in a car accident. A drunk driver ran a red light and hit your car.  Your driver looked after you especially well and called the ambulance and drove with you." She said softly as if she was saying something scandalous.

I just nodded now in better understanding of what happened. Just then the door opened and Jae walked in. Mi-Rae let out a gasp of surprise and then bowed deeply several times before staying bowed until, I'm assuming, he told her to rise and exit the room. 

"Just buzz and I'll bring your soup." She said as she quickly made her exit.

His guards stood by the door with my own and he shut the door. His long legs made it so he was in front of me in a matter of seconds and engulfed me into his arms as he shook. 

"Yemi.Oh God." he said through his muffled tears.

"Sorry I don't look my best right now." 

"Oh, babe you can't stay with him. He'll kill you." He had moved so I was still in his arms but  we were facing each other.

"I can't"

"You can. You have to."

I bit my lip. He wasn't wrong. I got lucky, my son really could have been gone this time.

"He won't divorce me. He won't let me be. I belong to him he only shares if it's for punishment."

Jaes' hug tightened slightly if only for a second. 

"You can live here." He said suddenly

"What?"

"I'll confess everything to my father. I'll break off the engagement. I'll do it all."

I felt mortified, I felt the love he had for me hell, I love him the same but this- what he was proposing would change everything.

"What would I look like running off with you while my husband is laying unconscious in a hospital bed?" I questioned

"What would you look like raising our son in an abusive household?" He questioned

I was silent at that. I knew at some point, our son would end up seeing something I would rather him not.

"Just help me hide." I said softly

Jae looked at me confused. "What do you mean? Just come to the palace."

"No. I may have a ruined life but that doesn't mean I have to drag you down with me. Let me hide. I'll be fine on my own as long as my child- our child is protected."

"Key word is our. Our baby Yemi. We should be together. I don't care about anything else just you."

I wanted to shake him. "You need to stop. You are engaged and I'm still technically married. Yes I am the mother of your child but I won't be the only one."

Jaejeong sighed "You need to be safe and cared for."

"Until I know where I'm going, who knows I'm going, and all aspects of leaving my husband informally I'm not making any moves. You can't just tell me to run to you without knowing how all the other players will react." 

"Babe."

"Please. Lets just go about this in a moderate place. You can choose where as long as it's not too close. Perhaps Australia. It's nice and warm there. But I can't go to the palace not yet. do what you want at this point. you want to be cast out and ruin your life just to be with me then so be it. we can struggle with our little family. Just let me go first. I'm not running from you. I'm running from him. After he is released. I won't leave him in the hospital."

Jaejeong sighed and ran a hand through his hair. I took his hand and leaned my face into his palm. "I'll be okay. We'll be okay."

He cupped my face and pressed his lips against mine. "I'll tell them tonight. I'll speak to MeiLi first then my parents. She has a right to know first anyways."

I nodded and he handed me a cellular phone. "Keep this. don't add any other numbers this is your direct line to me."  nodded and then he left. About ten minuted later I rang for my food. 

Mi-rae walked in with my soup a bowl of rice and some side dishes. I ate everything. I had no idea I was this hungry. I shook my head and rubbed my belly.

 " Well it wasn't all me now was it? you must have been hungry too little one."

I smiled and after drinking a cup of hot tea I shut my eyes and fell into a deep sleep. I dreamt of a future me. I sat in the living room of a suburban home while her son played with his toys the front door opened and Jaejeong walked in the little boy ran to him and hugged his leg.

"Wppa appa!" He called and Jae lifted him in the air

"Wahh did you grow while daddy was working? Oh my goodness. Did you and mommy have fun?" He asked as he walked over to where she sat.

"Clearly. Can't you see how much fun we are having. Tell daddy how many times we watched the same episode of your favorite tv show?"

"20 times in a row." 

Jaejeong looked at my sympathetically but i just smiled. I can handle watching some repetitive childrens educational show over and over again. I was free and safe with my loved ones. To me that's all that mattered.