51

GAB

The way back to the hotel was deafening, no one was willing to talk and I knew Davis noticed it. I was holding Lexi's hand and her head was resting on my shoulder. I wanted to talk to her, tell her not to worry about it because I know that it's probably nothing. Uncle Royce might be messing around, but somehow deep inside me, I fear that he might be telling the truth, because for one, why would he joke about a serious matter. It just doesn't make any sense. My skin grew hot at the thought of it. No, no it can't be. This can't be happening.

Davis dropped us off at the grand entrance and we moved quietly to our rooms. We stepped inside the elevator and I looked at her. Usually we would exchange crazy stares whenever we are inside the elevator because of our erotic encounters but now, Lexi wouldn't even look at me. I went to reach for her hand but she started hugging herself like she was feeling cold or something.

"Are you cold?"

I started pulling off my blazer and hand it to her but she refused and stalked out of the elevator as soon as it opened on our floor. I trailed in from behind as I hung the blazer over my shoulder. I opened the door of our hotel room and Lexi quickly stormed off the bathroom shutting the door closed. I just let her be because I know this is something serious and very depressing, though I still keep my hopes up. I know it wasn't true. There was no way Uncle Ervy was my father but then again, I hadn't known who Simon Ervy really was and everyone seemed to know too little stuff about him. I let out a sigh and reached for my phone. I dialed his number but it went directly to voicemail. Crap.

It's been almost thirty minutes and Lexi hasn't come out of the bathroom that I started to panic. I called her a few times but she just tells me to give her a few more minutes. My back was leaned against the bathroom door as I slumped slowly on the floor with my knees bended up and my face buried on my palms. Then it hit me. Is this the reason why Uncle Sully wanted me to avoid Lexi? And he couldn't give me a damn reason because he doesn't know how to tell me? Or he was too coward to face Lexi and I? My heart ripped open and was bleeding non-stop at the realization that what Uncle Royce had said might be true and by that it only means one thing, I'll be losing Lexi. I just don't know if I can accept that. I can't let her go, not now, not that I love her this much, not when I built my dreams with her in it. I shook my head wanting to erase the thoughts screaming inside my head. This is just a bad dream, and tomorrow I will wake up and everything will go back to how it used to be.

I stood up and knock a few times until Lexi opened up. She was not wearing her dress anymore and there were no traces of make up in her face. I moved closer as I lifted her chin up, her blues meeting my greens.

"Lexi"

"Gab, can we just talk about this tomorrow? I'm tired and I want to sleep"

I let out a long sigh as I felt her move past me. My hands losing contact of her skin made my heart ached but I reminded myself that I should be patient and not push her. She is hurt and confused and if there was someone who has to understand her then that would be me. I went inside the bathroom and showered, letting the warm water seep through my skin. I wanted Lexi to talk to me, to tell me all the things running inside her mind. I want to assure her that everything will be fine. But why do I feel like she's pushing me away? Why do I feel like she doesn't want to be near me?

I dried myself off, put on nice and warm clothes and slid on the bed and curled beside her. She was facing me with her eyes closed but I knew she wasn't asleep yet. I knew that like me, her thoughts were wandering elsewhere. She was curled up in a fetal position with her hands gripping the edge of the blanket. I laced my hands to hers and her eyes opened to see me.