45

GAB

If my shoes can talk, it'll probably tell me to stop fussing about Lexi, or maybe it'll automatically drag me back to my chair. I just can't stop thinking about her in Bastienne's company and I've already spent an hour pacing back and forth in this 4 sided room. That being said, the room I was in is my office. Cool right? I mean I'm not technically an employee, YET, but I already have an office where I bury myself on different kinds of stuff. Files, proposals, policies and the list goes on and on. It just sucked.

Going back, it's hard to imagine whatever they're doing now. I trust Lexi don't get me wrong and I know it's purely business but somehow I can't help but picture this Bastienne guy throwing looks at my dear Lexi. She is such a fine specimen, not to mention she's really smart. Men and women would swoon over her and I hate to think about it. Selfish as it may sound but I love her in all parts of me and that I want her only for myself.

I stopped on my tracks and set my gaze on the table where my phone sits. I'm fighting the urge to check on her not wanting to show off a clingy attitude.

"If I call her, would she think that I'd be too clingy or..Ugh!"

I slumped in my chair, burying my face on my hands. Maybe I was over thinking. Maybe I'm stressing myself all for nothing. And even if a lot of men and women would kill to have Lexi, I know she'd still choose me, I knew that. I felt that.

I spun my chair around facing the window. I am more or less 50 feet above the ground which made people walking along the busy streets of Chicago looked like an ant. Yes, I was that bored to even notice it. I stood up and walked closer to the window with my eyes averting to the blue sky. I caught a glimpse of my reflection at the mirror and something in me felt strange. It's been eight months since I got here and everything in me felt so different. My clothes were different now, they were more business-like and I always have this feeling that I need to dress up a bit formal. I kinda missed the sneaks though.

Lately I've been meeting people like Uncle Sully, people who talks business like it's the only important thing in this world. People who puts in their career before anything else, boring people and I fear that soon enough I will be one of them. God I hate thinking about it. Before this whole taking over started, waking up in the morning is such a pleasure. All I can think about was to go straight to my studio and spend some time painting or maybe stroll around with my friends in the hood. I still literally drag myself to the bathroom, still not a morning person. But for the past weeks, Zelda would always call me and remind me of my day's activity and the next thing I know, I am already rushing to work. I hate it. I know I am 21 and in a few months I'll be turning 22 which meant I need to start having a serious job and not just rely on painting. Besides, Uncle Sully told me he needs me to run his company, but I just don't know if I'm ready yet. Somehow deep in me, I wanted to make Uncle Sully proud, and not just him, but also Lexi.

Lexi is a smart woman and at 28, she's done a lot of things for the company. In fact she is a vital employee of Ervy Realty and if Uncle Sullivan had no heir, maybe she's one of the potential employees that can run the company. I once heard that rival companies of Ervy Realty would like to pirate her and offer her equal or higher salary than she receiving. She already acquired a house and a car, the fruits of her labor and I'm pretty sure that she has a good bank savings. So it's safe to say that at 28 she's already stable, while I on the other hand, is still struggling to be something I fear I am not. I knew in the long run I'd definitely learn all these things and maybe like Lexi or Uncle Sullivan, I'd be successful one day. Anyhow, I wanted to be worthy of Lexi, like I want to be something or someone she can be proud of. I don't want people to say that I got this job just because I am Sullivan's niece, which is in fact true, but I want people to know that I worked hard and that I also deserved to be here. And maybe I just needed to prove myself.