Chapter 20

A/N: this is just how I thought the story should go, this is a work of fiction. This story in no way represents how the actual x factor legal team works, I'm sure they're all nice people haha :)

Wes POV

"What the hell does that mean?" I asked jumping to Drew's defense. I felt so bad, the poor guy just sat there looking at the floor.

"It's not my decision, the two of them just can't date until the girl is of legal age." Mr. Branson said

"Can't they just pretend to break up or something? He can still see her when we're not on set." I added. Drew seemed to perk up a little, but you could tell the guy was still devastated.

"True, you could do that. But the point of taking these measures is for your own safety. Paparazzi are going to be following you all over the place until you get to Judges Houses. They're going to be following you to school, to the beach, everywhere. With all of these pictures being taken we can't risk your reputation. In the state of California it is illegal for a legal adult to have interpersonal relations with a minor. Because you were normal teenagers until this moment you could get away with it. But now that you've moved on to the next round you are the X Factor's responsibility."

"When exactly does this go into effect?" Keaton asked quietly.

"By signing these contracts you are giving us your loyalty that you will abide by the X Factor rules and requirements. In other words, you have to break up with Ms. Fisher by the first week of June." Mr. Branson stated.

So that's why Avery and I could stay together. She would turn 18 before the first week of June. She would be a legal adult by the time of Judges Houses. I turned to my friends and saw that shattered heartbroken look that overcame Drew's face. Anger started welling inside of me. This whole thing was just total bs. The legal team was asking us to give up everything just because they think it will help us get votes.

"It's not forever. Just until she turns 18." Mr. Branson said reassuringly. I did the math in my head, Adrianna's birthday was about the second week in July. Shit, it was only the last week of April. Suddenly Drew stiffened and sat up.

"Fine. Pen." He held out his hand. Drew scribbled his initials on the first three pages and flipped to the final page to sign his full name.

"Drew, man don't you want to talk about-" Keaton tried to say.

"No." Drew signed his name and got up from the table. I stood up to go run after him but Keaton's arm blocked my path.

"It's your choice boys, Mr. Chadwick already signed the paperwork." Thank you captain obvious, I thought he stormed out for another reason. Keaton and I met eyes and he nodded slightly. Disgruntled, I hardened my expression and signed my papers. I tossed Keaton the pen on my way out. I found Drew in the parking lot behind the theater. He was leaned up against the wall. I could smell what he was doing from a mile away.

"Are you trying to get arrested?" I slid the joint out from between his fingers.

"Give it back man, it's the only thing keeping me from going back in there and messing that guy's face up." I sighed and handed it back to him.

"Meet us up front in five. I'll pull the car around." I didn't want to push him any further, the kid clearly didn't want to talk about it. I scuffed the bottoms of my sneakers shuffling back to the front of the building. When I turned the corner I saw Keaton waiting for me.

"Where's Drew? You find him?" He asked me concerned.

"Yeah he's uh, around back." I hinted with my eyes. He shot me a confused look. That's innocent little Keaton for you. I groaned. Sometimes it was annoying to spell everything out for him. "He's around back." I took an exaggerated exhale to get the message across.