Chapter 19

Wes POV

I brought my hands up to rub the sleep out of my eyes, why did I have to stay up so late last night? Ow, Okay I guess my shoulder still hurt too. After I got home from the beach last night I slipped going down the stairs. It was pretty stupid of me to leave my rash guard on; the material was frictionless against the varnished wooden steps. Plus I was dripping water all over the place, so I was an accident bound to happen.

Anyway, I fell on my shoulder so now it hurt like a bitch. Over the summer I dislocated it because I was standing on Drew's shoulders groveling for Avery's forgiveness. This was back when she thought I was a complete jackass. I laughed to myself slightly. Drew shot me a confused look and I snapped back to the present.

What? I shot him a confused look back. He just crinkled his eyebrows and looked at me like I was insane. He flipped back to the girl who was walking upstage to sing her song. I remembered talking to her last week and I saw her audition video. She had a rockin voice. I think she told me her name was Jennel. 

"Ah, I remember you!" LA Reid said smiling as Jennel took the stage. She blushed and smiled politely.

"Whenever you're ready sweetheart." Demi cooed. I laughed a little when she said that. Jennel was 18; she and Demi weren't even a full year apart. Then again, I had just turned 18 a few months ago so they were both older than me. 

At the end of Jennel's performance she was met by a thunderous applause. I could tell the judges were very impressed. I glanced at Drew and Keaton and they looked just as worried as I did. We would have to watch out for her, she was dynamite.

"She's a fireball." I heard Britney whisper to Demi who nodded in agreement.

"Up next is Emblem3" Simon Cowell said shuffling his papers. He was wearing sunglasses, even though we were inside. But he can do what ever he wants, he is Simon Cowell after all.

I jumped up and pulled Keaton to his feet. 

"We've got this guys." I said reassuringly. In truth I didn't believe any of the words tumbling out of my mouth. I was nervous as hell but i just didn't want to show it. We've waited for this opportunity for so long and we couldn't blow it now. Drew clapped down hard on my shoulder and I winced. Drew gave me a concerned look but the judges were waiting for us.

"It's just my shoulder." I told him. "I'm fine." Even as I said it I felt my muscle burning intensely. I tried to shrug it off and I plastered on a cheeky grin. The panel smiled back politely and I could have sworn Demi blushed a little bit.

"When ever you're ready." Simon said. We took our places and waited for the track to start up. Within seconds the beginning chords of Iris by the GooGoo Dolls filled the stadium. This is one of my favorite songs, so I'm glad we picked it.

And I'd give up forever to touch you

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

When sooner or later it's over

I just don't wanna miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am