You Make Him Feel ~ Bucky

You remember the days after he'd been rescued from HYDRA. He was so...fragile. So frightened. So unsure.

It seemed to him that everything done by those claiming to be his friends served as another part to the plan of getting him back into the clutches of his previous captors. It took about three months to snap him out of that mindset.

Once his trust was gained, friendships began to grow. He had, obviously, attached himself to Steve for a little while, refusing to let anyone near him. However, as soon as he was sure that nobody here posed a threat, he started letting people in like crazy.

His poor, kindness-deprived heart needed to love and be loved, and after seventy years of waiting, it could finally do so.

Steve is his best friend, needless to say. Sam had become a companion like that of a spider; they're annoying and often look like they want to kill you, but they protect you always from other bugs that could mean you harm. Tony and Bucky seem to harbor some tension in their relationship, but truthfully, each just wants to be understood by the other. Bruce has become surprisingly close with him, and they often tell each other stories of their bothersome alter egos. Thor and Bucky have hair contests. Enough said.  

Clint and Natasha love him. They have so much in common with him, each sharing a tortured past driven by the ways of being ruthless killers. Natasha, specifically, likes to spend a lot of time with Bucky, proclaiming that they really help each other through tough times, including nightmares, relapses, and bouts of self-loathing and depression.

So... Where does this leave you?

When Bucky had come out of HYDRA, you were always in the background. You didn't know much about him, nor did you understand his predicament. Your conversations were limited to technicalities and politeness, and they would only occur in the event that you should run into each other.

Avoiding eye contact was key. One time you had passed his line of vision, and for hours you were left in an abyss of confusion and pain. There was always something in those icy blue eyes that got to you, something that made you want to go forward and wrap his giant form in a tight, protective hug. However, you two were not on those terms. You were strangers.

Until today.

December 16th. That was the day scheduled for the Avengers to venture to Europe for a long awaited mission. The goodbyes exchanged between Bucky and every one of them were heartbreaking, as he had voiced the fear that they would never come back for him.

But the true heartbreak would come tonight.

At around 3:00 AM, he awoke from his sleep in a cold sweat, screaming into the dark air with horror and fear. Unfortunately for him, his normal nightmare companions (Steve and Natasha) were a few thousand miles too far to hear his screams.

However, being that you were still in the training stages of becoming an Avenger, you had been left home, and you heard his screams loud and clear.

"Bucky?," you spring up in your bed, your eyes wide with worry. Knowing that you were the only one here, you knew you could be the only one to offer him the comfort he needed. "Shit, shit, shit... I'm coming, Bucky!"

You leap from the satin sheets of your Tony Stark brand mattress, then run down the hallway at full, drowsy speed. Upon reaching his door, from which the cries of pain still erupted, you take a sharp, deep breath and brush the messy hair from your face.

"You can do this, (Y/n)... You can do this..," you whisper to yourself, then fling open the door so hard you think you might have broken the hinges. "Bucky?"

In an instant, his eyes, cold as ever, land upon you. His lip is quivering, along with his human hand which is viciously tearing at the area between his fleshy shoulder and metal appendage.