Author's Note/Preview of "I Owed You One"

Hey Guys! I can't tell you how happy I am that so many of you are interested in my Bucky Barnes reader insert story! As you can imagine, I'M DEFINITELY GOING TO HAVE IT UP SOON! The official title will be "I Owed You One" (it'll make sense when you read the story, I promise).

As a thank you for all the wonderful support and encouragement, I thought I'd give you all a little preview of a scene from the story that I absolutely adore! Perhaps it'll increase everyone's excitement and curiosity? *wink wink*

~~~~~~~~

As the small, sharpened point of the dart that you couldn't possibly have seen coming penetrated the delicate skin of your leg, you let out the tiniest squeak of pain. That was about all you could do before the world suddenly began to dip and spin around you.

"W-Winter...m-metal arm...g-guy...," you whimpered as the sleepily intoxicating fluids of the dart began to take full effect. It wasn't so much that you considered the Winter Soldier your protector, but what other choice did you have? If anyone was going to protect you right now, it was going to be him.

Your eyelids began to flutter and you soon lost all of your coordination. Your legs seemed to trip themselves as you clumsily fell onto the sandy ground, quickly descending into a drug-induced faint.

Bucky's eyes suddenly widened at the sight of your poor unconscious body laying helpless upon the ground. Then, a rush of strange and unjustifiable anger took over his senses, pumping fiery adrenaline through his veins. He began taking out HYDRA operatives left and right, without much thought...and without much mercy.

He finally reached the shooter of the dart and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, lifting him a few inches off the ground.

"What you just did was the worst decision of your life," he sneered, "and the last."

With that, he snapped the man's neck, sending him crumpling to the ground with a lifeless thud.

He was now surrounded by either dead or unconscious bodies. Knowing that the threat was gone, his full attention was directed to you once again. He rushed to your side, lifting you off the ground a bit so that your torso was in his arms, your head rested on his chest, and your legs still remained on the soft sand.

He'd seen when you'd jumped in front of the dart for him. Neither of you had known what was in that gun. For all you knew, it could've been a poisonous bullet. Yet, you'd still taken it for him.

In those small moments between the click of the gun and the impact to your leg, Bucky seemed to question everything he'd been taught by HYDRA. Everything he'd ever known.

"W-Winter?," you muttered, half-awake and extremely out of it as you lifted your head a bit.

"You're awake! Good. Now you can explain to me what the HELL you were thinking!"

In response to his angrily worried words, you simply allowed your head to fall against his warm chest once again.

"No! No! Don't you fall asleep on me! Keep your goddamn eyes open!"

His voice got farther and farther away as the dart's power began to overtake you once more.

"(Y/n)! (Y/n)!," he yelled as he gave you a vicious, yet gentle, shake.

"I...I'm just gonna...I'm just....," your eyelids fell closed again as you let out a shaky breath. Then, your breathing rate quickly turned into the breathing rate of one captured in a deep sleep.

"(Y/n)...," his ferocity lessened as he realized that there was nothing he could do. That thought, that thought that he could not help you no matter what he did, killed him inside.

But why?

He was your kidnapper. He was only keeping you with him so that you wouldn't run off and report him to the authorities! You'd seen his face and that was the only reason he was watching over you....right?