Chapter Seventeen

Katelyn Pov

As we stand in front of the door, I step back letting Christopher stand a little in front of me.

"You can ring the doorbell."

I tilt my head towards the door, indicating it was okay. He looks me, and hides his face in his hands. That is so adorable.

"Okay Kate.... Linn..."

He presses the bottom, and takes a deep breath. The moment of truth.

Watching as the knob slowly turns, I know this has to be nerve wrecking for Christopher whether he shows it or not.

Suddenly, a small light skinned women appears. She's beautiful. Christopher is a spitting image of her. The dimpled, the freckles, just every detail of his facial features are all there. There's no doubt in mind that this woman is not his mother.

 There's no doubt in mind that this woman is not his mother

Smiling upon us, she welcomes us both inside. What is it about this woman that's so captivating? Is it because she gave birth to her amazing son, who has also taken over my heart? Is it because she never got the chance of being there for him like I am? Maybe it's just me...

As we follow deeper into her house, we come to a halt inside the dining room. She knew someone had to bring her son here, so she had three plates set out. Taking a seat next to Christopher as she is being seating in front of us, I examine the food. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and cornbread with red Kool Aid on the side. As we dig in, questions start pouring out.

"You... You my Mama?"

Christopher asked, scrunching his eyebrows together as he stuffs his face with mashed potatoes. She clears her throat, placing her silverware to the side before she spoke.

"Yes, Christopher.. I am your mother."

Face turning slightly red, he speaks up.

"You can't call me that! Only Kate.... Linn... Only she call me that. My name Chris."

Confusion, hurt, yet understanding is spread over her face like a disease.

"Okay, Chris.. Who is this Kate?"

I look up, giving a crooked smile.

"Hi. I'm Katelyn."

Her eyes travel over mines, examining my features.

"Oh. You're his caretaker."

She may have asked this, but it sounded more like she was brushing me off. You know how when someone introduces you, then just says, oh you're just a friend or some shit.

"Actually, I don't work there. I'm here for him because I choose to be."

I state. Damn, I hope I wasn't coming off too strong. It didn't sound as rude in my head...

"Yeah. Kate... Linn.. She's my favorite.. I like her a lot. She taught me this one word.. It's called love. So, I love her."

Shedding a tear while smiling, preparing to speak, Christopher beats me to it. He puts his hand on one side of his face so that I could see him talking.

"I want to ask her to be my girl... Friend.. Then, maybe.. Maybe she could have my baby. I don't know how much money to make one, but we'll make one."

He tries to whisper to her, only he's not a grand whisperer. As her eyes widen, she laughs, so hard her head flows back, and her face turns red.

What's funny? I want to laugh too. Suddenly, Christopher joins in on the laughter, only he doesn't know what he's laughing at.

"What's so funny, Miss?"

She pauses, then wipes her mouth with a napkin.

"My name is Joyce. But, it's funny how you walk into my house, try and take away son, then have the nerve to brainwash him. That's funny."

Completely shocked, I quickly stand up.

"Thank you for inviting me to your home, and your lovely food. I just don't see how you keep calling him your son, when you never thought to visit him. I know I don't know your situation, but at the same time you don't know mines. I brought him here. I didn't have to do that. Honestly no one that worked there wanted to see you, yet here we are. I didn't have to use my gas to come to see a disrespectful person. I'm the only one outside the facility that cares for him. Through the past months, I've only left his side for work, food, shower, and clothes. I take him places he's never seen or heard of before, I've bought him clothes, shoes, and his phone there. I take care of him simply because I love him. When did love become disowning and abandoning someone in a time of need? But, I'm going to leave before I feel that I say or do something that is truly disrespectful. I'm not mad nor am I offended. I'm a grown woman, I don't have time for petty arguments and disrespect. I'll be in the car whenever you're ready to leave, Christopher."

I say, calmly, and as nicely as I could. See, I could've done something bad, but I didn't. Because at the same time, that's still Christopher's mother.

Looking at Christopher, I see his pleading eyes for me to stay, but this time I'm going to have to look away before I give in.

"I love you Kate... Linn..."

He says, grabbing my hand.

"I love you most."

I say, bending down to gently kiss him, and swiftly walking out and into my car.

What a long, stressful day, wasn't it?

Published

September 17, 2016

900 words!!!! That's the longest chapter I've made in my ENTIRE life. Why so long?

Well, I'm publishing this chapter a little early because I'm going to be with family the rest of the day. So, yeah.

Word for the next chapter is...

Moving. 😘😍❤💖✌