Back in the day

PAC P.O.V

Years ago

My name was Jackson Crow, I grew up in an orphanage here, St Marys, but didn't know my mother or father. At first I had been one of just a few white boys on the block. I tried to stay out of the black kids radar and avoid them at all costs. To be honest it was because I was intimidated. They'd stare at me, jump like they'd so something, and pull crazy stunts.

I tried to stick to myself at the age of seven, tried to distance myself from everybody. I moved from home to home and family to family.

They were never abusive just didn't have the time to work wit me. By the age of nine no one wanted my sorry ass anymore. I came back to St Marys and ran into my old rivals.

Roe and Charlie.

They were black boys ages 12 and 14. I'd heard they were from New Orleans and their parents decided they were going to pursue their dreams and dropped they little asses off. They always picked with me.

One night when Sister Kathy put us all to bed these little bad motherfuckers snuck off to the kitchen and stole all the ketchup and mustard out if the fridge. They poured it all over me in my sleep and then put both of my hands in cups of water.

The next day they woke us all up by pulling the fire alarm. I woke up pissed all over myself, stale ass ketchup and mustard stuck my hair and shit. I was so mad and embarrassed!

I got laughed at almost the whole day and even after shower time I tried to get back in the shower. It took me about an hour and a half to get It all off of me.

I confronted them and they said that they didn't do it. My little slim ass couldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight but they were huge to be so young. Roe was the oldest. He was a b.o.n and chocolate as fuck. He always had this nappy ass hair and some fish lips. Charlie was the baby and he was bigger and more ruthless than Roe. He had a little shaped fro and was brown skinned. The only way you could tell they were brothers was from their light brown eyes and those ugly ass lips.

Charlie was the first to swing and hit me in the nose. My little white face was covered in blood and even though I tried to fight back they still whooped my ass.

Ever since that day. They'd showed me the ropes and showed me the game.

Do you want to know how I got the name PAC? I got bars. I started spitting when I was thirteen.

The very first time we had ran in the back of Mr Wong's laundry mat downtown and heard some boys rappin. They kept saying I needed to get my ass from over there, I wasn't black. Well Roe was like,' He blacker then us, spit some bars Jackson.'

So I hit em with the:
The truth didn't last
Before the wrath and aftermath
Who's that behind the trigger
Who'd ya figure
A motherfuckin night nigga

All hell broke loose. The boys started hitting me and kicking me and shit. The next thing I know Roe pulls out a banger and aimed it at one of the little motherfuckas heads, "Move again motherfucka and its yo ass."

He said that shit slow as fuck and then cocked the gun. Lil homie had me by the throat and I could feel my eye starting to swell. "Ah so you gone defend this motherfucka after he said that shit?!"

"He didn't call you a motherfuckin thing he was rappin the song. He wasn't talking about you! " Charlie crept up on the side with some lil light skin nigga held in a chock hold.

He said," Y'all touch my brother Jackson again we a kill y'all Lil pussy asses.

The boy snickered,"Jackson? This motherfucka stealing lyrics. We gone call him....PAC.

I sat up straight and adjusted my old thin ass jacket. The boy let me go.

He said, "You can't fight for shit PAC we gone have to show you something."

"You don't need to show me shit! I can handle mine."

He backed off of me and Roe put his gun away. Charlie grunted but let the little light skin go. The boy that was just holding me had on a dark blue Nike wind breaker set, with some fresh ass white plain Nike's, and a thin gold chain. He looked like he couldn't be any older than sixteen but you could tell his family had a little bit of money. The dark skin had on the same outfit but it was black and some black forces. He had some crispy ass straight back braids and a leaning right eye. He was tall though just like the other boy.

"I like y'all though." He started to laugh and zip his jacket up. "Where y'all from?"

All three of us looked at each other but no one said anything. "But y'all gangstas when it comes to each other but don't come from anywhere?"

His phone rang all of a sudden, he look at the screen and rolled his eyes as he answered. "Yes momma?" A few seconds went by and then he snapped the phone shut. "Come on Melvin we gotta get home."

They started walking back out to the main street. Then he turned around, "I'm Anthony. We'll see y'all tomorrow right?" He asked.

"Anthony and Melvin?" All of us busted out laughing at they ass.

"Yo y'all names horrible as fuck." I laughed so hard tears came out, I gasped for air, but walked closer to Roe to hang on to him.

Anthony actually smirked at us. "Around these parts they call us kid and play."

"Well since it's nick name day and shit, we gone call y'all Smoke and Locks."

The lil dark skin finally spoke up,"Locks? I like that Anthony." He had a weird as high pitch voice and sounded pretty slow. I would've laughed again but the look on Anthony's face looked like a damn threat. It was his little brother no doubt. And just like Roe and Charlie, he'd take no shit about family.

He liked over at Locks and replied, "I like it too Melvin, now let's go home."

They turned and started walking off again.

*******************************

The next day was like that. We met them in the same spot. We thought we were bad but we didn't have shit on them. We did all the typical see stuff unguided children do at our age. We broke into stuff, robbed places, and whooped asses when we needed to.

These two though knew how to get money. They showed us how to hold guns, shoot, rob the hustlers out in the streets. They showed us the weights and how to hustle. They showed us how to get money and never ask for a motherfuckin thing. 

We'd never wear that tacky shit again from the orphanage. We'd never be out here hungry, homesless and broke and shit. They were my brothers and when we got right we was gone run the fuckin city. And we did just that.