✿ Twenty ✿

"It's cold," Preston whined. I heard the rustling of his sleeping bag and I figured he was trying to curl up even more than he already was.

"You can have my blanket," I offered into the dark. It was quiet for a moment. The only sounds were crickets chirping and the far away laughter of people from other campsites.

"I kissed you earlier," He suddenly pointed out. I was startled– neither of us had brought it up before. My hand reached for the flower crown that rested by my head. I'm not sure why I grabbed it. It felt like an anchor.

"I'm sorry if you regret it," I replied, feeling my heartbeat accelerate like always in every situation.

"I don't," He paused and I heard his breath catch in his throat, "I crave you and that worries me because, because you have a boyfriend and I'm sorry I kissed you," He rambled, "I liked it, which makes it ever worse- not because of you -and I don't know what to say."

For some reason that made me able to release the breath I'd been holding.

"It's okay, Preston," I smiled, though he couldn't see it.

"I don't know what to do with myself. My hands are always itching to hold you and comfort you and keep you safe."

"I'm safe, you don't need to worry about me," I said, feeling a rush of an emotion that I couldn't identify that left me with butterflies swirling in my stomach.

"Rob," I heard him sigh.

"I'm safe," I repeated. I wasn't very convinced myself, but at the same time Mat was by my side so I knew I'd be okay.

I turned on my side and inhaled sharply because I had forgotten about the bruise that painted my ribs.

"Are you still cold?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yes, but I'll live. Are you? I can give you my sleeping bag if you are."

"Preston, you're cold. Keep it," I laughed softly.

"Okay."

"Alright."

"Good night Rob, I hope your dreams are nice."

I closed my eyes and let my mind wander.

"Good night," I replied, but I was pretty sure he was already asleep. And then barely above a breath, "I liked it, too."

My thoughts were racing, but I managed to sleep all through the rest of the night until morning when I heard a certain Australian start yelling about burning some eggs.

"How did you even manage to burn the eggs?" Lachlan laughed loudly before being shushed by who I assumed to be Vikk. "Just let me do it," He said quieter.

I sat up and stretched my arms above my head. It was kind of cold, but I smiled nonetheless from the memories of yesterday. It was the first time I had truly enjoyed myself in quite a long time.

"We're spending the weekend with a bunch of idiots, huh?" Preston's spoke, his voice was deep and I involuntarily shivered. I nodded, laughing slightly.

"They're not as bad as you though," I joked, but then regretted it, "I didn't mean that- you're really smart and-"

He started giggling softly, "You're a nerd," He reached out and brushed my hair into place. I blushed lightly. He reluctantly pulled his hand back. 

"Preston..." I trailed off. I shook my head, "What's the plan for today?" I asked instead.

"Uh, I'm not really sure. Pro'lly eat and then get our shit together before watching some more bands?"

"Cool," I replied. I stood up, awkwardly crouched because of the height of the tent, and started folding my blanket and getting my things together. My eyes spotted the flower crown that rested by my pillow and I felt warm inside.

"Do you mind if I change in here?" Preston asked suddenly. I felt my face heat up immediately.

"Oh, uh, go ahead. I'll just, um, turn this way," I stuttered out, whipping around to look away from him. I could hear him chuckling. It didn't feel like it was a mean laugh, though I couldn't be sure. Was he laughing at how stupid and weird I was? How awkward I was?

"Thanks, Rob. You can turn around now," He had a goofy grin on his face. It made my heartbeat seem to slow down a little bit. He was dressed in blue jeans and a grey sweater hidden beneath a jacket. He looked like a model for Nygard or something. He looked good. I smiled weakly.

"Here, I'll go grab us some food that's hopefully edible from the dorks out there, you can get changed and whatnot."

I nodded in thanks, quickly stripping once he left the tent with a wave and an awkwardly long zip of the zipper. My clothes were far less put together than his- a scarf, jacket, and joggers. I looked back to the flower crown and decided to throw that on too. It felt nice on my head.

"Rob?" I heard Preston call from outside. "Coffee or tea?"

I grinned, shuffling towards the 'door' of the tent. Today would be awesome.

"Tea please," I answered.

I was right. It was amazing. We saw so many amazing performances and I sat huddled next to Preston. We shared a small throw blanket and he told me things between songs and acts.

When he dropped me off at Mat's house, I felt a pang in my heart because a part of me wanted to spend more time with him and get to know his friends better. I waved when I got to the door and watched as he drove off. My knight in shining armour driving off. I smiled sadly. When I walked into the house I set my phone down on the kitchen table. I finished all my daily chores that I had to do before Mat came back and went to bed. I needed a nap after a weekend of being around that many people with no break.

I fell asleep quickly, but it didn't last long because Mat came barging into the room, yelling something that made my blood run cold,

"Who the hell is Preston?"

///

it's a me, samio

quick question: why @ mat