✿ Eighteen ✿

(i feel like there's lots of shitty dialogue in this chapter sorry!!)

When I woke up again, I was in the bed that Mat and I shared. I wasn't sure how I got there, but I was thankful for it. My head no longer ached as much and the nausea that plagued my every move wasn't present. I smiled, breathing in a deep breathe. I glanced at the alarm clock across the room and saw it read 5:47AM. It was early, but I had probably been sleeping for 12 or so hours.

I looked around and saw my phone on the floor next to the bed. It had a text message. I furrowed my eyebrows and picked up the phone. It was from Preston. I couldn't help the smile that was on my face.

hi! i hope u feel better soon and that u had a lit sleep!! xo

I giggled softly at his words, putting my phone down after typing a quick "thank you". He was very sweet. I decided to get up and go eat some food- or at least try to eat some. I hoped I'd be able to keep it down.

Good news: I was able to keep the bowl of oatmeal and blueberries down. There was a part of me that wished I hadn't, but I tried to ignore it. I knew I had to head to work in a few hours and I wasn't really sure what to do until then. Mat wasn't home. Preston was most likely sleeping. Plus, I don't think he'd want to see me. I am always clinging to him and I bet he was really annoyed.

I peaked at the clock in the kitchen once more before deciding to go for a walk. I grabbed a thin jacket and a toque, as well as my phone and wallet. It was fall and the weather made sure I knew it. It was very crisp outside, but there wasn't snow or a biting wind so I was grateful. The sun wasn't up yet, but the sky was definitely becoming lighter. I smiled to myself and began my walk. I wasn't really sure where I was walking to, but I was going towards Preston's. Whether it was subconsciously or not, I soon found myself in his neighborhood.

I don't really know what brought me there. It wasn't exactly a short walk over either. I pulled out my phone and saw another text from him. The smile found its way back onto my face as I read his words for the second time that morning.

awake so early? me too. can't sleep lol

For a few seconds I debated whether to call him and tell him I was in the area. I knew that he probably wasn't going to want to hang out or anything. After all, it was like barely 6:30 in the morning. I didn't have to think for long because my phone was ringing. It was Preston.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Rob! Hey, sorry for calling so early. Is Mat there?" He asked in a deeper voice than usual- probably because he just woke up. My face heated up.

"He wasn't there this morning," I paused when I heard make a small noise of what sounded like disapproval. "I'm on a walk right now."

"Want to go get some coffee before school and work if you have it?" He asked. I grinned.

"That would be really nice. Where should I meet you?" I bit my lip, thinking that it would take awhile to walk anywhere.

"You said you're on a walk, yeah? I can just come pick you up. Text me where you are and I'll be there in a few minutes," He finished. I heard some rustling in the background. He was probably getting out of bed and getting dressed. I suddenly felt creepy and slightly guilty for even guessing things like that. I took a deep breath to calm my thoughts before they began to go rampant. I didn't want to start freaking out.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah of course. See you soon, Rob," He ended the call. The way he said my name was so gentle.

I opened up the messages and started my text to Preston.

"Rob!" I heard him yell through his open window behind me. I turned around and saw him pull up to the curb where I stood.

"Hey," I said softly, smiling at him. I was sort of excited to go for coffee. Last time it didn't go so well because I screwed things up. Like usual.

"You were so close to my house, what a coincidence!" He laughed, unlocking the car door. I covered my mouth as I giggled. Definitely a coincidence.

"Yeah," I replied awkwardly.

"Wait, last time we went for coffee, you told me to listen to a band. Which one was it again?"

"Uh, the Lumineers I think," I thought back to that day. A cold, rainy, fall day. Today was much better whether- even if it was colder.

The rest of the ride was quiet aside from the quiet hum of my favourite band playing in the background. I stared out the passenger window, resting my head on my arm. It was peaceful.

When we got to the shop, I went through the most anxiety inducing coffee order of my life. The lady didn't hear me and she wasn't as nice as the last boy who served me when Preston and I were here before. Thankfully, with fumbling hands I finally paid for my order with minimal fuck ups.

I sat down across from Preston when we both got our drinks.

"How's school going?" I asked, trying to make conversation. I was so awkward in the car, I wanted it to go better in here.

"It's actually really great. Can't wait for Christmas break though, even if it is a long time away."

"That's awesome! Plus, Christmas isn't too far away. Just make it through fall first," I smiled. He returned it and took a sip of his coffee. We talked back and forth for awhile.

"Hey, did you know that music festival is coming up soon?" He suddenly asked, changing quickly from the previous topic which was boring jobs.

"Uh, Brayden mentioned it awhile ago, but I don't really know much about it. Are you going?" I replied, feeling slightly uneasy. I knew all about it. Mat goes every year with his friends and they come back totally smashed. I was worried that this year it would be worse. Thankfully he seemed to have believed the white lie.

"Yeah, I'm going this year. My friends are going, too! Vikk, that guy I went to the movie with, his friend, and a couple others from school. We also have another ticket so," He trailed off. I could tell he was really excited. The way he spoke was so animated and the smile on his face was brighter than the sun. "You're welcome to come with us if you can. I really want you to come."

I felt my face get red and despite all anxiety and thoughts of Mat telling me not to, I said, "Yes, I'd love to go."

///

wowow sorry for the delay but wow i went to a folk festival and feel inSPIRED

hopefully i'll have another chapter this week :D

also space dad drew art and i'll put it in the next chapter bc it works so pERFECT AHHH i am so excited ty jordan <3