✿ Four ✿

"Oh, that is so sweet! I've never met anyone who made me a bouquet of flowers about me," He smiled, resting his hand on my shoulder in an act of what I think was comfort. His thumb stroked my shoulder lightly before pulling away. My heart rate decreased slowly. I took a deep breath and handed him the bouquet. "You okay? Just keep breathing, alright?"

I nodded and swallowed.

"Thank you," I mumbled, feeling rather embarrassed at my outbreak.

"No, thank you," He grinned, taking the flowers and we walked to the front desk.

"I hope you come back soon," I smiled, ignoring the pit of guilt sitting in my stomach. Mat.

"I will. Once these ones wilt."

With that, he walked to the door. "Bye!" He called. I returned the goodbye and watched as he exited, the bell above the door dinging. I sighed, feeling all sorts of emotions. I felt like I was betraying Mat, but Preston just made me smile and feel warm inside. I loved Mat, I did.

Only him.

Of all my feelings, guilt was most prominent and it stayed with me until I finished my shift. It even followed me home.

I didn't want to go home. Not to an empty house. Not to a night alone.

The sky was getting dark as I made my way back to our small house. The street lamps came on, lighting the empty street. I shivered in my sweater, making a note to wear a heavier sweater tomorrow.

"Excuse me!" I heard someone call from behind me. Heavy steps pounded on the concrete. I glanced back and almost jumped. The person was closer than I expected.

"Preston?" I asked in disbelief.

"Hold on," He panted, bending over and resting his hands on his knees. "I'm so not cut out for running," He whined. I covered my mouth as I giggled.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm going to the corner shop up further and I saw you and thought, 'hey it's the pretty flower shop guy!' and so I ran over," He grinned.

"Rob," I mumbled shyly, my cheeks feeling hot.

"Huh?"

"My name is Rob, so you don't have to think of me as–"

"As the pretty flower shop boy," Hs cut me off, finishing the sentence with a wide smile. I nodded, smiling as well.

"Anyway," I said, awkwardly pointing in the direction of Mat's house. "I need to..." I trailed.

"Right! Of course. Are you going in this direction?"

I nodded.

"Do you mind if I walk with you? I'm also going that way," He ran his fingers through his soft-looking hair.

"I don't mind," I replied softly, trying not to think about how mad Mat would be if I walked home with another boy.

"Sweet," He cheered. With that, we were off.

"So, how's your girlfriend?" I tried to make light conversation even though my nerves were buzzing.

"She's, well, I don't know. She's been hanging out with her coworker a lot lately. She even went to his house the other day. His name is Michael or something. Something with an 'M'. And she has been distant, but it's whatever. If she's not in love with me, I don't want to be with her, you know?"

"Ah, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope she realizes soon on what she's missing out on by hanging around her coworker instead of you," I tried my best to console him. He put his palm against his forehead, almost like he was distressed. I thought I said something wrong.

"Oh my gosh, Rob, you are the sweetest," He groaned. I was unsure how to take that. I didn't reply. We kept walking though and soon enough, the familiar sight of the house came into view. The street corner. The black trim and red front. The dark oak door. My heart ached and I couldn't figure out why.

"Anyway," I started, "This is home," I laughed nervously, pointing to the house.

"Hm, it's nice. I might have to stop by sometime!"

"For sure!" Never, Mat would kill me.

"Maybe sometime next week," He grinned.

"Definitely!" You're not allowed in that house unless the invite is from Mat.

"Anyway, here's my phone. Put your number in?" I took the phone from him and debated whether or not to put my real number in. If Mat caught me texting him, I don't think he'd approve. The reason is that he's concerned for my safety because he loves me. He told me that.

I decided to put in a fake, ignoring the guilt.

"Thank you, I'll text you sometime. See you around, flower boy," He smiled and waved.

The ache in my heart returned.

fml i love rob too much
and school is starting on monday rip
exams in january ahhh i need to study
if u have exams, good luck!!