✿ Two ✿

After he walked in, I let him browse for a bit. He went up to our display of daisies and then to our garden ornament section. Finally, I dropped the string I was playing with and mustered the courage to talk to him.

"Hello, how are you today?" I asked, smiling. He was shorter up close, I noticed. He had stubble and a small moustache growing. He also looked to be about 20 or so.

"I'm really awesome, thanks. The weather is so nice!" He replied with a grin.

I nodded. "Definitely. So, is there anything in particular you're looking for?" It was his turn to nod.

"My girlfriend just graduated from this college and I need some flowers to give to her," He explained, but his expression showed almost a grimace?

"Ah, I could make you an arrangement for that. If you follow me here," I walked to our 'fridge' full of different flowers. I waited until he stood next to me.

"These ones here are white carnations," I pointed to a bundle of them, "They mean luck and purity. Those ones, the yellow ones, they're tulips. Yellow tulips mean happy thoughts. I could pair those together with some others that would be there to make it look pretty, how does that sound?"

"What!" He asked, gaping at me. I felt my heart rate speed up. Did I say something wrong?

"W-what?" I stuttered out, feeling anxiety seep through my veins.

"Flowers mean different things?" He exclaimed with a shocked expression. I couldn't help myself. I pressed my palm to my mouth to try and cover my laugh.

"Yes," I replied once I calmed down.

"That's so cool what the heck," He mumbled with a shy smile.

"Does that arrangement sound okay though?" I asked.

"Of course!"

I got to work, picking out flowers and putting them together, trying different combinations until I was satisfied with the look. When I presented it to the boy, his eyes widened in what looked like amazement. Inside, I felt very proud.

"Oh my goodness, that looks amazing. You're pretty much a legend," He said quietly, eyeing up the bouquet. "Thank you so much, I hope she loves it as much as I do."

"I hope so, too," I smiled, bringing the flowers to the front counter. "Do you want to write a card up?" I asked, pulling out the selection of small cards. He nodded, picking one with red and dark purple flowers printed as a border. I tried not to peak at what he was writing, but curiosity got the best of me and I glanced at the words he printed.

Sarah, these flowers are almost as nice as you. xx -Preston

Preston. The name repeated itself in my head a few times. It was a nice name. Nicer than Rob.

Preston paid for the flowers and we make light conversation, mostly about the weather, until took the bouquet and walked to the exit. I ran ahead and pulled the door open.

"Have a nice day!" I called.

"You as well, I hope I'll see you again," He winked. My face turned pink and I felt my cheeks with my hand. It was warm to the touch. Someone cleared their throat behind me and I whipped around to see Brayden smiling at me.

"S-Sorry," I whispered, stilling feeling giddy from meeting Preston.

"I hope he comes back to see you," Brayden said with a smug smile.

"What are you talking about," I smiled, returning to my position behind the front desk.

The rest of the shop was mostly quiet for the rest of the day. Someone came in for a wedding order. A few people came in to buy single flowers. But I mostly sat around and listened to Brayden talk about this guy Mitch he recently befriended on a dating app. Timber or something. They had plans to meet up soon.

Before I knew it, it was six and I was getting ready to leave.

"Bye!" I called to the others who were working before I walked out the door and started my trek home. I knocked on the door to our house three times, as per usual, and waiting patiently for Mat to open the door.

No answer.

I knocked again. Still nothing. I pulled out my phone to see if there were any texts from him, smiling as I saw one.

From: Mat-boo (5:37PM)
rob im at a job interview
go to mcdonalds and get fries
ill get you there at 8

My smile fell as I finished reading the text. I sighed and trudged back the way I came until McDonalds came into view.

Another night without Mat.

Another night alone.