✿ Sixteen ✿

Euphoria could only last so long. Whether it was from a drug, a person– anything, it ended too soon. My high ended when he returned.

Matt came home after 11 days of being gone and I was really relieved to see him, but I was also going to miss spending my time with Preston. I was worried because it was like Mat disappeared off the face of the planet for awhile. But I understood. He needed to work and not be distracted by something as petty as me.

When he walked in, I was washing dishes. Thankfully, Preston wasn't there and I had cleaned mostly everything the previous night.

"Mat?" I gasped, drying my hands on the towel and rushing to greet him at the door. He gave a slight nod of the head and kicked off his shoes, sending them in a mess.

"How was your trip? Did you get much work done?" I asked excitedly, wanting to know about what he'd been doing for the past week and a half. He looked so tan.

"Get me a beer," He said after awhile. The first words he spoke since he was back. I bit my lip and nodded, rushing to the kitchen to retrieve what he wanted. When I tried to ask about his trip again, he snapped his head away from the TV and flashed me a threatening glare. I went back to the kitchen and finished the dishes. We didn't talk until the next day.

I went to work early in the morning, before Mat even woke up. I had a bad headache and I felt dizzy, but I needed to work. Someone had to pay the bills.

"Rob! Glad you're here," Brayden greeted me. I smiled at him and waved.

"Am I on cash today?" I asked softly, rubbing my temples.

"Ah, I have some errands that need to be done. Would you mind doing them?" He asked hopefully. "Pretty please," He added after. I wanted to protest and say I would rather a quiet day in the store, but I reluctantly nodded. He took a list out of his pocket and shoved it my way. I quickly glanced over it before leaving through the doors.

I turned left and began my walk to the first place on the list: the post office. By the time I got back to the store, I had a raging migraine and I could hardly see straight. I felt nauseous and weak. It was painful.

I handed Brayden all of the things I got for him. He reached out, but I began to fall to the ground. My knees gave out and my hands clutched my head.

I felt his hand on my shoulder and his voice, which sounded like it was miles away, was calling my name with concern.

"Rob? Are you okay?"

I murmured, "I'll be okay, just give me a second. I'm sorry for causing trouble."

He rapidly shook his head.

"I'm calling Preston to pick you up. Take the rest of the day off, you're obviously not feeling well."

"No!" I shouted and winced, "No," I mumbled, this time softer. "I'm okay."

But he didn't listen to me. He walked out into the back, phone pressed to his ear. I waited, trying to keep my mind off the pounding in my head which nearly brought tears to my eyes.

"He'll be here in five, just wait here, okay? I'll get you some water," He ran back. I sighed, not wanting to go home because Mat would ask questions. Or maybe he would skip the questions and go right to what I dreaded most.

Preston came to pick me up with a look of worry etched on his features.

"Rob," He said when he reached me. "Hey, how're you feeling?" He asked, kneeling down beside me. He reached out and held my face with his hand. "Shit, you're really warm."

"Brayden!" He called, getting up and walking in the general direction of the back.

"Yeah?" I heard a muffled call back.

"Thanks, I'm taking him home now."

Brayden came out and said goodbye before Preston guided me to his car.

"What do you need right now?" He asked. I could tell he carefully chose the words.

"I-I'm okay," I replied. "You can leave me here, I'm sorry for making you come here."

"I have no problem coming to help you– I want to help you. Is your boyfriend back?"

I felt a swell of gratitude and another wave of pain. I groaned quietly.

"He's home, isn't expecting me until 6," I quickly got out. Everything felt bad. I just wanted to nap.

"I'll take you to my house an then drop you off at six, how does that sound?" He suggested. He was such an amazing person.

"Thank you so much."

"Anything for you, Rob," He smiled. Before I knew it, we were on the way to his house.

I almost fell asleep on the way there, but I managed to keep myself awake. Closing my eyes made this headache more bearable. When we got there, I was brought to his room.

"Get some sleep, I'll wake you up when we have to leave, sound good?" He motioned to the bed which wasn't made. I smiled slightly. Typical Preston.

"That would be awesome."

I laid down, pulling the blanket up to my shoulder. Preston sat on the foot of the bed, texting someone. I closed my eyes and slowly drifted, but didn't fall asleep. I was still for awhile. Preston shifted closer and took a deep breath.

His lips pressed a small kiss on my forehead.

I felt my heart beat accelerate.

///
ayeo i'm lowkey excited to write the next chapter bc damn Mat is home amiright

also i have like a few more stories to read before the whole library/recommendation thing is gonna be posted :)

thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting 11k reads wHAT TY