✿ Eight ✿

It became a regular thing after that, Preston coming into the flower shop. He would hang around for a bit on his lunch break from his job. I found it very sweet and his company was nice. He mostly liked learning about flowers, which I found awfully endearing. He reminded me of a bear cub, curious and playful. Also, Brayden didn't seem to mimd him staying. One day, after my shift, he told me he was rooting for us, but I didn't really understand what that meant. If he meant romantically, then I don't think he knew about Mat.

Either way, Preston and I laughed a lot together.

Today, when he came in and took his usual spot in the stool left behind the front desk set for him, he looked extremely tired.

"Preston, what's wrong?" I asked softly, watching him run his fingers through his hair. I was mesmerized, taken by every movement he made. I was aggravated at myself for how much I enjoyed being able to look at him, as creepy as that sounds. He must've caught me staring at him at least ten times.

"I'm so tired," He whined, moving his hands from his hair.

"How come?"

"College. Have I told you I take classes there?" He looked up at me. I shook my head, resting my chin on my hands. "I'm in three classes: psychology, gender studies, and behaviour studies or something. I can't remember the names. They're revolving around how people act, anyway," He explained, smiling a little at the end. I nodded, wishing for him to continue talking because I wasn't really sure how to reply without sounding stupid.

"There's so much work involved and every night I am up late doing homework, I am so stressed!" He exclaimed, his head falling into his hands. I shyly put my hand on his shoulder.

"Don't overwork yourself, one night of relaxing and sleeping instead of working your butt off isn't going to ruin your school career," I told him softly. He raised his head, looking at me with a strange expression I couldn't read.

"Thank you," He responded in a very gentle tone. "What about you? Are you in school?"

"I–" I paused, thinking. Would Mat be okay with me going to school? "I'd like to take an art class," I decided finally, not saying anything more.

"That suits you," He smiled his familiar smile filled with the sun.

"What do you mean?" I didn't quite understand.

"You're artistic and I always feel like artists have really– gentle souls?" He shook his head. "I don't know, I can't word it properly like how it feels."

"That's okay, thank you," I felt shy now. I would have to ask Mat about school. I have the money for it.

"Hey Rob, I have to go. Also, that number you gave me didn't work? So here's mine–," He gave me a post it note with numbers scrawled across the surface, "I'll see you around, flower boy," He grinned, getting up and walking out of the shop with a final wave over his shoulder.

"Bye!" I shouted after him, watching him until I couldn't see him anymore. I looked away from the front windows and was greeted by Brayden.

"Hey Rob," He smiled, his teeth showing like usual.

"Hello," I replied, folding my hands together on my lap.

"Would you be able to work late tonight or no? I am really busy tonight." 

I froze, thinking immediately of Mat. He wouldn't appreciate it, but I didn't want to let Brayden down.

"I can do it, but I need to make a call home first."

"Thanks man! You're great, just until closing at 9," He slapped his hand on my back in a friendly gesture before returning to the back of the shop. I sighed, pulling out my mostly unused phone and dialled Mat's number which was ingrained in my head.

"Hello, Mat here," He answered shortly, greeting me with how he usually answered the phone.

"Hey Mat, it's Rob," I smiled despite him not being able to see me.

"Rob? Is everything okay?" He asked, but he sounded preoccupied.

"I'm sorry if I'm calling at a bad time, but my boss asked me to work late tonight," I paused and waited for an answer.

"We'll talk about this when you get home. Work late, I don't care, whatever happens to you is your fault. Bye."

The line went dead. I bit my quivering lip and slowly put my phone back into my pocket. Then I walked to the bathroom and sat on the toilet until the tears building up in my eyes disappeared and I felt a bit better.

I didn't want to leave the shop. It was dark and cold out, I knew an angry or drunk Mat was waiting for me at home, and I was tired. But I persevered, walking home with my hands shoved in the pockets of my sweater.

I knocked on the door like usual, waiting outside for Mat to open it. There was no answer. I knocked again. Mat didn't open up. I tried to turn the doorknob, but it was locked in place. I started to panic. I pulled out my phone and checked for texts from Mat. There were none. I dialled his number, tapping my foot on the ground impatiently.

"R-Robby!" He slurred out and I knew immediately he was drunk. I heard a muffled voice in the background saying what sounded like 'mat, baby, who's that?'

"Mat? Where are you?"

"Rob, I'm out," He giggled. "Talk to you tomorrow!"

He hung up. My mouth fell agape. I dialled again, unsure what else to do. It rang and rang until it reached his voicemail. I felt tears slip down my face in panic. I was so unsure what to do. I hastily wiped the tears from my face and went to the neighbours, hoping they would have the key Mat left with them if he wasn't there when I got home.

The neighbours didn't have it. Tears began falling freely once more. I tried to think who to call. Brayden was busy tonight.

Then there was Preston. I had his number from earlier. I picked up my phone again with shaking hands, dialling the number he gave me.

"P-Preston? It's Rob, are you busy right now? Could you–" My voice cracked, "Could you pick me up right now please?"

✿✿✿
hello hope u enjoyed ily all
also quick question,

what do you guys enjoy reading? angst? fluff? deep shit???

and if i wrote another story, would you guys rather fantasy or real life scenarios?